1997 Trek 850 Mountain Track

AlanT

Retro Newbie
Hi folks,
Here's the bike that my parents bought me in 1997 (I was 15) and that I still ride. It started out its life as an off the shelf Trek 850 (rigid fork) and after 2 or 3 years I decided that I didn't like the paint job so stripped it down and got my dad (who has a car body shop) to paint it black. Unfortunately the only decals I could get at the time were those for a Trek 8500 which needed trimmed to fit the skinny steel tubes, so they were fitted and then lacquered over.

The bike had various upgrades, including a Marzocchi Bomber Z5 fork and v-brakes. I haven't used the bike much over the past few years, favouring road biking instead, but I fancied get back into mountain biking so I dusted off the Trek and headed off road. The fork was knackered - oil change didn't fix it and I didn't want to spend money on it - so I bought a new Rockshox Dart 2 which seems ok but heavy (bike weighs about 31lbs).

Believe it or not, this is the only mountain bike I've ridden since I got it 14 years ago, so I've no idea whether or not it's actually any good. Is it worth spending money to keep it going? I quite fancy getting the frame powdercoated orange like some of those nice looking Konas and possibly putting a better, lighter fork on when funds allow but part of me says it's not worth it and I should just put the money towards a new bike.

Rough specs:
Deore rear mech
LX front mech
LX chainset
Deore v-brakes
STX-RC shifters and brake levers
7 speed shimano cassette and a SRAM chain
XT rear hub/DRC MT19 rim
Suntour XC Pro front hub/Rigida Sputnik rim
Specialized Phenom saddle (new to me but seems good so far)

Not a true retro bike but I'm happy with modern stuff to keep the bike useable.

Picture in following post.

main.php

The 1997 Trek catalogue: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... emId=98743
suggests the frame is True Temper, which was a decent quality tubeset bitd.

Objectively, it's propably not worth spending much on it, but a bike you've owned for a long time becomes an object of sentimental attachment. I spent a couple of years hunting down a 1995 Trek 930 after selling my original: It's not a classic bike by any means, but I regretted selling it.

Actually, yours looks perfectly usable as it is :)

Back