Update 7-2-2012: 1993 Klein Attitude rebuild project

MightyMarc2005

Dirt Disciple
Hi my name is Marc. I'm into mountainbiking for a long time. My first bike from the late 80's was a Giant Sierra with XT. A few years later I bought a Scott with elevated chainstay full XT. When this bike was stolen I bought my Klein Attitude with painted Mag 21. This was long before internet so I faxed to Klein in the US. With a little help from my friends of Bike Pride of Europe in Groningen the bike arrived in the Netherlands!

I build the bike myself and bought the parts from the mail order company Bike Pride. No internet so I checked all English, US and German magazines for weights reviews and prices.

The bike changed over the years, first I used some cheaper but lightweight components. Later I bought more special parts. I even have a TNT custom made stem of titanium made specially for the Klein. I've always been biking to the max with this bike. So I made al the scratches ;)

Around 2003 I noticed a lot of small bubbles under the paint of the Mag 21. After some research on the internet I learned that the magnesium is corroding and it is risky to drive the fork because it can easily break.

In 2005 I got a Yeti ASR-SL, because I liked it and I think a mountainbike should be made in the US.

Now I decided to polish my bike and parts, buy new rims and fit another mag 21. I have not yet decided if I give it a complete respray, just the fork or leave it as it is.

Maybe you can give me some advice?

Attachments

• IMG_2270.JPG
    IMG_2270.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,225
  • IMG_2288.JPG
    IMG_2288.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 2,225
  • IMG_2286.JPG
    IMG_2286.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 2,225
  • IMG_2276.JPG
    IMG_2276.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 2,211
Hi Marc and welcome to the site, the Attitude looks lovely and i will leave it to the Klein experts here for advice ;)

repaint

Hi Marc,

Cool that you had this Klein for so long and it still looks amazing!

But if i were you i'd have the scratch(es) fixed as the paint on the rest of the bike looks fine from what i can see? And have the new fork legs painted?

Regards,
Renzo

Looks like it is in pretty good shape. Jon Rock is a great option, which you have probably heard already.

What ever you do, don't polish it. Keep is as it is with those scratches patched. And if you must, get the fork legs repainted or something.
This paint bubbling problem is very common with Mags that have painted legs.

Archangel":yyd3ji1a said:
What ever you do, don't polish it. Keep is as it is with those scratches patched. And if you must, get the fork legs repainted or something.
This paint bubbling problem is very common with Mags that have painted legs.

I second that.

thanks!

Thanks for your opinion. I'm wondering how to patch the scratches. what paint should I use? I cleanded and polished some grafton parts. And my wheels are about to arive. Will post some more pics soon! :D

Attachments

• IMG_2280.JPG
    IMG_2280.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 2,021
  • IMG_2283.JPG
    IMG_2283.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 2,021
Update 21-11-11

I have polished some parts.
Grafton re-entry levers
Onza HO cantilever brakes
Avid tri-align brakes
New bolts, grease and love... :oops:

Attachments

• IMG_2366.JPG
    IMG_2366.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 1,848
  • IMG_2370.JPG
    IMG_2370.JPG
    243.1 KB · Views: 1,848
  • IMG_2368.JPG
    IMG_2368.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 1,848
  • IMG_2369.JPG
    IMG_2369.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 1,848
Hi Marc and welcome,

I would leave the original paint on especially as you know the history to all the scratches!, and the fact that the paint still looks pretty good.
I have one in the same colour but it is very scratched and has some bubbling to the paint so I still can't make my mind up what to do.

Good luck with it!

Back