94 Marin rebuild

type49

Retro Guru
Just finished my Muirwoods rebuild - well, near enough anyway, thought I'd share some photos.....

Attachments

• DSCF7041.JPG
    DSCF7041.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 1,862
  • DSCF7035.JPG
    DSCF7035.JPG
    202.6 KB · Views: 1,860
  • DSCF7037.JPG
    DSCF7037.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 1,860
  • DSCF7038.JPG
    DSCF7038.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 1,861
Looks like a full new paint job to me... the paint was never that good on them back in the day!

Cheers guys, think I've put it up in the wrong section though, so if any moderaters can change it for me, go ahead ;)

The original gold matched perfectly with a Lexus IS200 around 2000 model - there were about 6 golds in that year alone but one was spot-on. The blue was a pain in the ar5e!! The original blue was sought of like an anodised colour, not really metallic but def not a solid. I just couldnt really match it at all. In the end I just picked a blue that I liked & was close. Had to also paint the seat runners, seat clamp, bottle holder & spoke nipples - also making this my first ever attempt at wheel rebuilds, using the old spokes to keep cost down. 2 cans of gold, 1 blue - (£11 each). 2 primers (£3.75each) & 3 laquers (£3.75) + sticker set from Gil (thanks) making the whole build under £80. I bought the bike for £40 & it only needed a new chain + brake cables for good measure, so it owes me about £130ish. I'm happy with this although I'd prob struggle to get my money back if sold - maybe?? + it's given me a good experience at truing bent wheels :roll: Anyone else thinking of a winter project should def get their finger out, it's very satisfying......

I think you've ended up with a stunning bike... great work with the paint!

Your certainly not out of pocket on it...

Lovely job on the respray. Nice to know what paint to use for a 1994 Marin colour match.

I'd look at perhaps upgrading the crankset from the original pressed steel Alivio offering. The frames are pretty similar and lightweight across the 94 range with the components bringing the major differences.
Being a bit picky; the DX rear mech was discontinued in 1993, and seeing as you've gone to so much effort to get the original paint and decals period correct, it sticks out as a bit of an anomaly.

Although it would've originally been Alivio throughout, I reckon that full LX M563 would be perfect for that rebuild.

Good work though. (and moved to 'readers bikes' as requested)

drystonepaul":ruw9pf4m said:

Being a bit picky; the DX rear mech was discontinued in 1993, and seeing as you've gone to so much effort to get the original paint and decals period correct, it sticks out as a bit of an anomaly.

Cheers mate, I do still have the original alivio mech but it was a bit tired & the DX was in great condition at a good price - just had to do it..... :LOL:

Love this - this is exactly what I had planned for my '94 Palisades until realising (and being totally honest with myself) that it's actually a little too small for me.

Have always loved the champagne frame/ metallic fork combo of this era of Marin bikes

Interesting to find out that you got a good colour match - I read somewhere that there is a Vauxhall colour which is quite close too - Platinum?

Back