1995 Kona Cindercone

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I got a call from my local bike shop a couple of days ago and the shop owner was pretty excited about some of the things he'd found whilst clearing the shop up. I was told to come in to the shop and bring my wallet and possibly a van...

So, called in today and got introduced to a mountain of parts he was keen to clear out asap to make way for new stock. Amongst a a lot of no name aluminium frames and lots of other bikes was a old Cindercone. Took a bit of haggling to get him down to a reasonable price, but quite pleased with what I got:

b439e53e.jpg

a2b2b6e5.jpg

The wheels:

43525775.jpg

af3dc87e.jpg

15244ad1.jpg

Think it'll be a 1995?

The bars, stem and saddle can go, but think the rest should do nicely.

Think it may be a bit big for me to be honest, but hoping I can get away with it. It's 16" centre-to-centre so should be ok.

Wheels are lovely, really pleased with them :)

Decided to stick with Shimano XT, given the front mech and v-brakes that are already fitted. Just paid for a M739 rear mech. Don't think it's too much of a crime to fit these parts as they only came out a couple of years after the bike.

111114ShimanoDeoreXTM739RearMech-Longcage.jpg

Can't decide on what chainset to go for though. Was hoping I could afford a Middleburn one, but may settle for a Sugino (as per original spec).

Going to pull apart the forks this week and give the frame a good clean up.

nice CinderCone :cool:

good luck with the Judy, as from the pics. it seems, that the elastomers are shot, thats why the forks look a bit compressed - also I assume, that the damper cartridge is leaking, too - they all do throughout the years :(

Thanks, I'm sure I'll get there with it.

I pulled out one stack of elastomers and they looked ok, but agree the forks do look a little compressed. I'll strip them down and see what can be done. I don't mind putting spring in them if the elastomers are shot.

All the bits are off the bikes now...except the forks. The bike has had a threaded to aheadset adapter fitted and it's clinging on to the steerer tube! Manage to shift it about 10mm up, but really struggling to get it any higher. Not sure whether to give up and try it bash it out the bottom of the steerer instead. Maybe just more WD40 type stuff needed. What a pain though! :?

WD40 might help, but penetrating oil would do a much better job.

Love the gold go fast bars!

Back