Al Carter Proffesional 1991

Greasepiece

Retro Newbie
Here is my old Al Carter im working on at the moment. Anyone got any info on these bikes! Its very hard to find any info on the net. I also have an M-Trax 600 form 93 in every day use and still going strong.

Attachments

• Picture 255.jpg
    Picture 255.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 5,206
  • Picture 259.jpg
    Picture 259.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 5,206
  • Picture 256.jpg
    Picture 256.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 5,206
  • Picture 262.jpg
    Picture 262.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 5,206
Quite affordable good quality groupset bikes these were. Division of Townsend/British Eagle I thought.

Mate had a full xt one. Quite heavy Claud Butler'esqe but groupsetsusually were excellent for 400-500 quid bikes.

Way BITD I knew a guy with one of these. I dont know much, if anything, about them though I'm affraid. All I can recall is it had a mixture of DX/XT. I would guess it came with DX and he changed up to XT here and there.
I must admit, that is the one an only Al I've ever seen...... :?

a mate of mine in about '89/'90 had an Al Carter "Sidewinder".. it was fluorescent yellow - just like the classic marin muirwoods, but not quite as good spec..

yours is the second one i've ever seen / heard about.. must be rare mate ;)

Thanks guys! The original parts were all 400lx and exage weighs a fair bit alright. I remember the sidewinder there is a catalogue floating around somewhere from about 1990 with the full range, most of them had the wishbone rear stays and funky paint jobs.

From what i can remember they were either handmade in Leigh Lancashire or they were shipped from tiawan (sp) as boxed bikes and built up in the same factory in Leigh. Either way they were part of the Towsend group which included Falcon, British Eagle (Remember the Boss).

I had a Al Carter Black Panther black frame pink stickers, road it till it broke, I have had the fram re welded but the 1.5in head thbe is slightly ovalised. And its still in my parents garage so I may bring another Al Carter to the retro bike fold soon. the Blackpanther was oversizedcro mo tubes, and came out of the same factory in the far east as Gary fishers production,

exbiker":4a59o866 said:
British Eagle (Remember the Boss).

God, yea, the Boss DX :shock: :LOL:

Big yellow thing with HUUUUUUGE tubing and black decals. Cr*p bike with a good groupo.
Really wanted one of them BITD cus it looked sooooo cool....then saw sense and brought a Diamond Back ;)

I remember wondering back then "Who in God's Good Chuff is Al Carter??"

Mountain bike equivalent of Barry Scott?

Back