>> New Build ..... 1995 Raleigh M-Trax 2000Ti

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So a momentary lapse of control saw a last minute bid go in for a 1995 Raleigh M-Trax 2000Ti :roll: :oops:

I have always been quite intrigued by these being bonded and all :LOL:

For a British made frame there seemed to be little love for the M Trax frames and as i love an underdog .....

Well the frame is in pretty good shape - a bit of patina but certainly no where near what I would have expected. The bits that look like rust in the pics is actually dirt :oops:

So this will become a spares box winter hack. Plan is to do something more befitting in the new year.

➡️ A Couple Of Starter Pics:

HT looks brazed but is actually a single piece lug - cast as I understand it.

IMGP2296.jpg

The brazing of the frame is very neat and the frame has a couple of quirks like the demi chainstay bridge ...... complete with mud!

IMGP2297.jpg

➡️ Original Spec List:

page10_989.jpg

➡️ Decals:

The decals have seen better days so I have started mocking up replacements (still a WIP) - thankfully the HT badge is present.:

MTRAX.jpg

Will post up as the build develops.

Any comments regarding build etc please say :D

hi mark
SNAP
I only recognized the photos because I too got one off ebay last weekend, except the 1000, where did you find the brochure page from ?

I intend to refresh it as a cheap bike for my son to do the school trip rather than his more expensive bikes

The tubes on ours the plastic coating has peeled in places, what options are there for this, remove it altogether?

bhill22":2cx4vqkm said:
hi mark
SNAP
I only recognized the photos because I too got one off ebay last weekend, except the 1000, where did you find the brochure page from ?

I intend to refresh it as a cheap bike for my son to do the school trip rather than his more expensive bikes

The tubes on ours the plastic coating has peeled in places, what options are there for this, remove it altogether?

The scan came off of this site ( I forget where though :oops: ) they had one for the 1000 too.

I guess you could strip it off in the usual fashion :?

ti 2000

Wow

My ti2000 is currently in bits. I am trying to find somewhere to get it resprayed! I need a set of transfers as well. Happy to buy a set if you get them sorted. Can you sandblast a ti frame?

bikemeister2000":an07orvd said:
Head is bulge-formed from one piece of Cr-Mo tube in Japan by Eisho Seisakusho.

That sounds too cool for school!

Crudie":an07orvd said:
Wow

My ti2000 is currently in bits. I am trying to find somewhere to get it resprayed! I need a set of transfers as well. Happy to buy a set if you get them sorted. Can you sandblast a ti frame?

Sure thing. The decals above need tweaking a fair bit. Plan is to have a crack at better matching the fonts then look to get them printed. We have an excellent decal chap on here ( Gil_M ) so any printing would be carried out by him rather than me. Caveat If thats okay with Gil ;)

I can keep you posted if you like?

Re sand blasting.

I plan to have mine blasted but not powdercoated as I am not sure what the bonding agent is for the tubes :?

I am guessing that the frame should be okay with a blasting .......

Again I'll keep you posted :cool:

Bulge forming was something we used to do to at Raleigh many years ago. We used to create bottom bracket shells in the same manner too, however, like many things we ended stopping manufacture of frame parts and out-sourcing :cry:

Mtrax ti 2000

I spoke to a frame repair company yesterday and they said powder coating should be fine as it only reaches 200c and bonding will need much higher temps to melt.
Mine is going in for blasting and may risk the powder coating.
What do you think?

Re: Mtrax ti 2000

Crudie":2xbag70u said:
I spoke to a frame repair company yesterday and they said powder coating should be fine as it only reaches 200c and bonding will need much higher temps to melt.
Mine is going in for blasting and may risk the powder coating.
What do you think?

I thought these were just glued(?) and as such 200c might weaken the bond adhesive :?

Out of interest where are you getting it done? I am just down the road from Cambridge and always keen to find new places to try for coating :p

Back