My GT STS-1 Build (finished) - update 04/04/2012

TimHildreth

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Started this build about 2 months ago.

got it from here, looked good in the picture and i always wanted a STS, so decided to go for it.

STS-1.jpg

picture above of the bike, as i got it.

Drove 350 round trip to pick it up (never again)

overall condition was good, decals were chipped and just need a good clean, this did have a odd mix of parts on it. Shimano Ultegra rear mech for example.

IMG_0732.jpg

so decide to give it a upgrade and change a lot of the part,

I decide the first thing to do was to sort out the decals, so removed them, and cleaned up the frame.

IMG_0735.jpg

I got some decals from ebay US, got them, not the best quality and applied badly by me (rushing), looked good from distance, so decided to change them again, to some different decals from the US again.

IMG_0754.jpg

1st try

IMG_0788.jpg

2nd try (current)

Changed the gearing to full XTR M950,

Still cant decide on the final parts to put on,

Stem - i was think a silver Kore elite stem (same as the one on, but in silver)

Bars- USE atom riser bars, or easton monkey carbon bars

Forks - at the mo have MXC 2002 marzacchi on, but have some Z1 in white with blue decals but thinking to change the decals to red to match the bike.

any suggestions?

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0791.jpg

Bike above is how it is now,

looking good
i'm going to steer clear of red on mine
would like to see the white /blue forks on it tho
get on with it then

mike

Awesome bike, I think I saw it in a thread on Pistonheads a while back?
I commented on how good it looked.

I think it needs period yellow decals personally, and orange Z1's. M95x is the right choice for the groupset and the stem looks good, as do the bars, very in keeping!

I love the brakes aswell, the only brakes that could be good would be XTR vs but those hope sports are better.

Really nice bike mate and one that I spent many hours dribbling over pictures in my GT brochure in 1998!

raymondluxuryyacht - sold the mech on here about 2 months ago

carter - i was the same dribbling over it back in the day, them red bars are growing on me, going keep the white z1's on, but change the decals to red ones,

Fitting rear mech last night, and took it for a little spin, rides like a dream

Looking good Tim!
Just fitted the same red decals to my build. Totally transformed it.
Keep trying to find a rockshox deluxe to replace my helix, but keep getting outbid. Lost one on Monday that only went for £32.

Back