My first low rent project: Raleigh Ravine c1993

Woodie

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I thought I'd add a thread to follow the doing up of my Raleigh Ravine. Not as glamorous as most of the bikes on here, but it means a lot to me as it was the bike I doscivered MTBing on, and has accompanied me to the various parts of the world I've lived (Colchester, Liverpool, Singapore, Manchester, Wakefield).

I stripped it a couple of weeks ago, managed to get the BB out on Saturday after help from my generally unhelpful LBS. This is the same place that when I took my Rockhopper in to get a new rear mech hanger, said they couldn't source one, a job that took me all of a minute to do when I got home. Also they suggested I not bother with my old frame because "It's not worth it". So much for an LBS passionate about bikes :roll:

Anyway, I digress. So, frame is stripped and right now with a local powder coaters who are charging me £20 for a new paint job (unfortunately not the original pearlescent violet). I plan to use the aftermarket wheels I bought a few years ago (Merlin-built FIR 123 rims on LX hubs with a Paralex front), plus probably the LX rear mech I also added. Everything else is needing to be replaced with new parts maybe, or any retro stuff I see going (I may retain the Zoom seat post though). The point is to make it the bike I wanted to make it when I lusted after certain trick components, rather than a faithful reproduction of the original, so I hope any purists forgive me :LOL:

I have a pair of Mag 10s ordered (cheers Jez!) to replace the old rigid forks, some SRAM V brakes (cheers Chris!) to replace the awful 400LX cantis plus Gripshift and SRAM levers (also from Chris) to replace the awful plastic Shimano levers.

Need new headset and replacement bottom bracket now. I'll keep you posted

Attachments

• Ravine before 1.jpg
    Ravine before 1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,044
Doesnt matter what other think of the value of a frame for a rebuild, just do what makes you happy :D

I've got a local bike shop by my work and the tech guy in there is a fountain of knowledge and I think he's just happy to speak to adults who are in to bikes rather than just kids with rich mummys and daddys :LOL:

I have a new old stock Zoom stem, 135mm x 5 degree rise if you want it for £10. I'll have a looks for other stuff that will help.

Nice and very underated bikes, built many of these BITD when I was working in a bike shop.

Look forward to seeing the progress!

Stick Legs":mb9qlwc3 said:
I have a new old stock Zoom stem, 135mm x 5 degree rise if you want it for £10. I'll have a looks for other stuff that will help.

Nice and very underated bikes, built many of these BITD when I was working in a bike shop.

Look forward to seeing the progress!

Hi Sticky. I might take you up on that. I'm unsure whether to use the Mag 10s with an Aheadset, or keep that for another project and use the old rigic forks (threaded, and also being powder coated), with an STX headset. What colour is the Zoom stem? I've got my old black one, but lost the cap covering the bolt, so it's pretty corroded in there now :?

It is black, and it has the top cap and the little allen bolt head cap too.
If you are interested PM me and I'll sort you out some pics.

Also if you get it resprayed I have a NOS Raleigh Head Badge too.

Headset

I have some threaded and non threaded one inch head sets Stronglight needle roller semi sealed and YST needle/roller mix. Can do these cheap, so let me know.

Just got it back from the powder coaters (£20!), it's now red, shiny and looking very very nice. Pic to follow

I'm interested in the head badge, Stick, but I have a set of threadless Mag 10s, so I'm looking for an Aheadset and stem. Thanks though

Wold, let me know what you have in terms of headsets. I'm after 1.125in, not 1

HEADSETS

I ony have one inch spare myself, but a pal has a load of new inch and an eighth. Got some onld Skool Stronglights with sealed angled bearings in Silver and Black, will ask him for you?

Here's the bike post-powdercoat. Not sure if the finish is that good. It remeains to be seen, but it looks good. The pic doesn't give the exact colour though. It is bright red
Again, it's not true to the original, but I kind of like it.

THe next stage is getting an LBS (not my most local one, they suck ass in a big way) chase the BB threads and add a new BB (probably ordinary Shimano sealed one), plus ream the head tube and fit the Hope Aheadset I just got

Attachments

• Lunacy April 06 068.jpg
    Lunacy April 06 068.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,854
Back