Marin Pine Mountain (maybe '94?) recovered from my mum's!

keepitmencap

Dirt Disciple
Hi, just found this forum, bringing back some great memories of all the bikes I used to lust for in MBUK when I was a kid!

So anyway, I recently decided (after about a decade), that I want to start riding again. I just wanted something to nip around town/Sunday bike rides with the girlfriend etc. Instead of buying new, I decided to check out my old Marin (that I loved more than anything) that was hanging in my mum's garage.

One new chain, new tyres and adjustment of the brakes later, we are back in business. I'm really pleased with the condition of it, especially because I (guess) it is nearly 17 years old?!

But this is just the beginning...first up on the list are:

New shifters (grip can go screw)
LX V-brakes for the rear
new pedals
new bars
pump for the forks

I really need some advice with regards to the v-brakes. I really like the levers I have, but on the front v-brakes, they don't seem to 'pop back' enough and sometimes leave rubbing slightly on the rim. Any ideas?

Suggestions on what I should buy welcome!

bike1223of9.jpg

bike1222of9.jpg

bike1221of9.jpg

bike1220of9.jpg

bike1219of9.jpg

bike1218of9.jpg

bike1217of9.jpg

bike1216of9.jpg

bike1215of9.jpg

Looks very nice :)

With the brakes, first thing is to pull the front brake cable forwards so it's not resting behind all the others - front brakes often have more friction when the cable sits like that.
Next is to check the cable - could be a bit corroded after that time.
An unlikely one but an easy fix is to check the brake pads - if they were sitting too low for a long time while riding it, then the top half of the pad wears and the bottom falls below the rim every time you break, which leaves the brake pad 'stepped'. When this happens, eventually the bottom half of the pad catches on the rim each time you brake and stops it from releasing - then 'popping back' once it's freed.
Lastly, removal of the brake and grease of the bosses makes them run smoothly if it's dry in there and catching.
A little short term fix is to wind the tension in on each arm a lot more, which often counteracts the resistance of a corroded cable. Not ideal for perfect brakes though :)

And a squirt of grease around each pivot won't do any harm either :)

Carlos":281cfoua said:
Looks very nice :)

With the brakes, first thing is to pull the front brake cable forwards so it's not resting behind all the others - front brakes often have more friction when the cable sits like that.
Next is to check the cable - could be a bit corroded after that time.
An unlikely one but an easy fix is to check the brake pads - if they were sitting too low for a long time while riding it, then the top half of the pad wears and the bottom falls below the rim every time you break, which leaves the brake pad 'stepped'. When this happens, eventually the bottom half of the pad catches on the rim each time you brake and stops it from releasing - then 'popping back' once it's freed.
Lastly, removal of the brake and grease of the bosses makes them run smoothly if it's dry in there and catching.
A little short term fix is to wind the tension in on each arm a lot more, which often counteracts the resistance of a corroded cable. Not ideal for perfect brakes though :)

And a squirt of grease around each pivot won't do any harm either :)

Thanks for the advice! Going off to get some tools tomorrow and going to give it a good clean/greasing/service. The bearings sound surprisingly quiet considering they have no grease. I'm definitely going to get new cables all round I think. Any suggestions on rapidfire shifters to use?

The issue with the front brake may be to do with the tension in the arms actually? I pull the brake on full, then let go. The arms pop back, but not all the way. You can then see them slowly going back the remainder. Until they have travelled this remainder, there is some looseness in the levers.

I was going to get it all done by the local shop, but they quoteed me a ridiculous amount, and couldn't understand why I wanted to ride such an old bike :?

Will be more fun trying to do it myself anyway :D

Are they Onza Canti Brakes on the back?
You might want to try and match them back and front - and there are those who maintain that if the bike has canti hangars - don't fit v-brakes.

You don't say where you are - but there may be fellow RBers who could lend a hand with spannering.

those levers are for canti brakes, they wont ever work that well with V-brakes

the M570 LX v-brake was always pernickety to adjust as well.

pm 1996

i'm sure that's a 1996 pine mountain. when you started seeing Aheadsets more widespread.

good start for a nice marin. riser bars, i would lose for that build. the forks are a good brand so i will let them off even though they look a little out of suit.

everything else looks ok and good nick for the year. enjoy it mate

:cool:

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I decided that I wanted rid of those bars, really don't go. Forgive me for the forks, I was young and wanted suspension! I should have the originals somewhere.

I asked the guy in the shop about the levers, and he assured me they would work with V-brakes. I was skeptical, as I seem to remember buying LX V-brake levers as well as the current ones wouldn't work.

I'm happy with canti's though, so would people suggest that is the way to go? would mean simply buying matching ones for the front I suppose.

Can anybody suggest any flat/very light riser bars?

I'm in Nottingham btw

Back