1997 Bontrager Race Resto - Completed

BontragerSchweiz

Dirt Disciple
Recently got my Bonty back from the powdercoater. They did a fantastic job... I must give thanks to Alberto Friedrich at Stilrad in Zurich, especially as the frame's finish beforehand was totally trashed - truly beautiful work.

Build (these parts were on the bike when I got it)
M950 XTR front and rear mech/shifters/brake levers
M739 Chainset on Shimano BB (not sure which model, but mechanic who rebuilt it said it was Shimano)
M950 XTR hubs (8 speed) on
Rear Bontrager Mustang (silver/silver spokes) and
Front Mavic X517 Ceramic (black/black spokes)
Don't ask me how many hole hubs, I'm not counting
Avid Arch Supreme Rear
Avid Single Digit 5 Front (cheap as chips, but effective)
Chris King Headset 1"
Ritchey WCS Rizer Handlebar
Salsa 26.8 post (bit scuffed on the front, but hey, it's a mountain bike)

New Stuff
420 mm Pace RC-31 fork, replacing Marzocchi Bomber Comp 03
Blue Salsa wheel skewers replacing seriously knackered M950 skewers
WTB SST titanium saddle replacing hideous SDG Comp saddle
NOS 1" Ritchey Comp stem replacing Easton 1/18" stem w/spacer (looked crap), powdercoated to match frame (great decision, I think - looks fantastic). $8.50 on eBay, btw.
DMR V12 Pedals (Circa 2005) Pretty sure they're magnesium
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25" front/rear (love 'em)
And maybe a bit controversial for some, but I couldn't resist the Schindelhauer ergo-style grips. The leather and the metal locking on bits (exact colour of titanium, but not) matches the saddle perfectly. I think they look great, and are very comfortable with my big mitts, but I'm sure they will divide opinion.
Jen Green headbadge in Bronze
OEM NOS B-dot
Repro "Handmade in Santa Cruz, CA" decal
Zurich tax stamp (mandatory)
Bell (local pensioners get kinda pi**ed on my local cycle path when they don't hear one as you approach from behind)
BBB cables

I do have a full repro decal set, but it's in grey and I think the ones with the blue would look better, so have yet to put them on. I very well may just leave them off. If I do put on decals, I'd just do the downtube - would look less "cluttered" IMHO.

Think that's everything. Just need a few more small bits left to finish it off... King ti cage(s), Chris King headset spacers (probably black) and stem top cap (in blue). Perhaps replacing the front brake for something nicer, and adding a brake booster, if I can find a decent one. Also thinking maybe getting some Groovy Cycleworks Luv Handles in ti. Not too concerned about keeping it 100% period correct if I'm honest, especially considering the prices some retro parts are selling for lately ($175 Ringle Skewers?!)

Bike weighed 10.7 kilos/23.10 lbs on LBS scale, which frankly shocked the hell out of me. Bike takes off like a rocket, climbs really well, and is a true pleasure to ride.

Happy.

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 1,941
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 1,941
  • IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 1,941
That looks excellent! I really love the colour, they've done an excellent job. I picked another bontrager today and will be having it powder coated soon.... Not sure what to go for yet though. I think I'd sell the avid arch supreme and the front brake too and go with grey XTR v brakes front and rear if it were mine, the silver arch supreme sticks out a bit with the otherwise black and grey parts... do you mind if I ask how much the Jen Green bontrager badges are?

Great job!!

Also Luv Handles would be amazing...... Why not go for some hot rodz whilst you're ordering from Rody!!

Thanks for the compliments. Good idea on the brakes - I think I'd probably also get a matching XTR chainset as well if I made the swap in the future. Arch supreme is a fantastic brake, however. I'd love to find a set in black.
Jen Green headbadge was $75. In silver, she told me the price is more like $150-180 depending on the price of silver at the time she makes it. Really well made, fits perfectly, and Jen is a pleasure to do business with. Had the badge made and at my door in Switzerland in about a week.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to email her and order one now! I don't think they did the arch supreme in black, although I agree that they are a superb brake.... An XTR chain set would be great, although those XT are great chainsets, I just can't get along with their looks!

BontragerSchweiz":bn1815q4 said:
Hot rods painted to match the frame. That would really be sweet.

Now you're talking! :cool: I've been toying with the idea of getting some but I cant justify the cost at the moment. They're lovely though!

Looks great!!! Do you know what was used to adhere the headbadge to the frame? I have the same one on my Bontrager but I'm not sure how to reattach it after I get it repainted.

Back