Bottle Cage Rivet Fix - how to
Thought I would make a post on how I fixed the stuck allen bolt in the revolving bottle cage rivet before I jump off to the dungeon and continue the build. Someone may find it usefull.
1) File the head of the allen bolt so it is flush
with the diameter of the thread; you can be lucky and still use an allen key to hold it still, but chances are you will gradually file to the point the allen key is useless.
2) Cut a groove in the bolt on the small remaining head showing; thus making it a screw.
3) Get a front mech, and clamp it to the tube plus
the little bit of exposed bottle cage rivet. There should be enough contact point and force to stop it turning.
4) Screw outwards if you can. It may be best to take the seat-post out, screw inwards and let the screw fall out.
5) With the front mech still attached, re-tap the thread to clean it up properly.
6) Then use this trick to tighten the rivet back up. It works a treat!
http://blog.pedalandwrench.com/2008/12/ ... tling.html
7) Job done, mount your bottle cage and make sure you use a good loose fitting new bolt to avoid the problem again. They don't need to be super tight.