Scapin Pro race NR

wynne

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I think this is a pre-97 frame, but I'm quite happy to be moved on if I have offended the keepers of retro. It's a modern build however.

Following an appeal for a v-braked nippy XC frame I bought Nick's (suburbanreuben) Scapin off him.

It's a fairly modern build on the basis of what I had to hand. Bit of faffing to make the 70mm Italian Ultegra external road bb take the mountain chainset.

RC31 420mm a-c fork
DT 240 Hugi hubs on Mavic X517s
XTR m952 v-brakes
Saint m800 9 speed shift lever
XT shadow rear mech
SLX cranks with Goldtec 34t ring
12-36 deore cassette
Dura Ace chain
Thomson seatpost 26.8mm
Hope stem 110mm with 5 degree rise, 31.8mm clamp
Race Face Deus XC 31.8mm bars
Ritchey WCS ergo foam grips
Prologo Nag Pas ti rail saddle
FSA Orbit headset
Eggbeaters
Nokon and XTR cables
Michelin dry tyres run tubeless with Stans rim strips.

Not the lightest frame but the bike feels light and I reckon it's going to be springy as a lamb.

Rich

Attachments

• scapin 002.JPG
    scapin 002.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,764
  • scapin 003.JPG
    scapin 003.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 2,764
  • scapin 004.JPG
    scapin 004.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 2,764
  • scapin 005.JPG
    scapin 005.JPG
    123.4 KB · Views: 2,764
Thank you.
It's a single ring. The bash is there to keep the chain in place until I get a chain device of some sort.

Nice, I've been admiring this frame for a while wishing it would shrink a bit so it fitted me.

Looking good , Rich!
It's not the lightest frame of it's era , but it compares favourably with modern frames, and is a pound lighter than an Indy Fab I had for a short while.
Modern components suit it,, and the orange bars provide a necessary splash of colour,.
You could have taken your pants off the clothes drier though... :roll:

Very nice :cool:

Would be better with posh cranks and proper rings though!!

al. ;)

Sorry about the pants.

I agree about the cranks. I'd like to run my burns on them but had a problem tracking down a 110mm Italian thread square taper BB, so opted to a cheapo external road bb for simplicity.

So stung was I by the criticism of my bash ring that I have fashioned a new chain keeper. It's the mongrel offspring of a Roox Chaindog.

Here are MKI and MKII. Both working well so far and less clogging than with the bash ring.

Attachments

• Easton 008.JPG
    Easton 008.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 2,507
  • Easton 007.JPG
    Easton 007.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,507
  • Easton 006.JPG
    Easton 006.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 2,507
owner of another later scapin, I can only be supportive of the effort :cool:

actually your frame looks more elegant than mine ( a rudolf)
what is the tubing ?
nevertheless, I always find these modern cranks to lack that sort of elegance ;)
let's have the middleburns quick :LOL:

Yes, it's an elegant looking thing.
The tubing is I think Dedaccia Zero Uno.
The ride is very good. Very responsive when you push it but also very forgiving.
I went for the nasty slx cranks because it was easy to find an Italian threaded external bb. I might try a bit harder to find a long Italian square taper bb soon. Also the Burns look really good on the Nicolai...

Rich

Back