1991 Merlin Mountain monochrome

semi-school

Old School Hero
Not one to troll Craigslist, I did find this on the day it was posted last spring. Living just a few blocks down the street, I recognized a gem under some old, parts. The package included many titanium parts and a Ti bolt kit. The Ti parts, headset, front mech and the CQP cranks were the only parts I kept on it.

Now I wish I had a "before" picture. After finding a $20 fork and reaching into my parts bin, this is how it turned out.

cranks: Cook Quality Products, with Shimano 747's
tires: Continental Avenues (for use in the city)
wheels: XTR (f)/DX 7-speed (r) on Mavics, w/Salsa skewers
stem and seatpost: Litespeed
handlebar: Titec PG w/Yeti grips
mechs: XT (f)/XTR (r)
levers/shifters: XTR/DX 7-speed !
brakes: Avid Tri-Align II
saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium

Looking for a nice fork with a threaded 1" steerer.

Attachments

• DSCN8768a.jpg
    DSCN8768a.jpg
    489.9 KB · Views: 2,123
  • DSCN8769a.jpg
    DSCN8769a.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 2,123
  • DSCN8771a.jpg
    DSCN8771a.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 2,123
It's gonna be a road bike for the most part. Mainly because I've heard bad things about the lifespan of those cranks. Also it's all day comfortable on the road, and with few short exceptions, the local trails have a tendency to be primitive and technical.

That said, I would like to see how it handles off road. Since it's been almost 20 years since I've ridden a rigid bike on the local singletrack, I'll throw some knobbies on it next spring and remind myself why I like suspension. If I really like the off-road handling, I can mount a Mag-21 from my parts bin and use the 1" threaded crown/steerer that my LBS dug up for me.

Lookin' for a nice rigid fork with a 1" threaded steerer (160 mm) for 26" wheels.

86 RG500
86 Nishiki Bushwacker
91 Merlin Mountain
93 Klein Adroit
95 Rocky Mountain Altitude
98 Trek OCLV VW
02 Santa Cruz Superlite

semi-school":3v44nrkh said:
I can mount a Mag-21 from my parts bin and use the 1" threaded crown/steerer that my LBS dug up for me.

I know this is no for sale thread, but if you do not use the crown, please sell it to me so I can use it for my Merlin build ;)

I do understand your crank argument, that's why I go for White industries or M900 although Cooks are the most beautiful cranks ever made...

The bike came with the CQP cranks, worn rings, and bad flat pedals on it. They looked like hell. I couldn't find my Autosol, but some Mother's Metal Polish brought 'em up to a reasonable shine.

I totally agree about the M900's. Got some in the parts bin in case the CQP's give out.

Rio, I'll give you first refusal on the Mag-21 crown/steerer. I want to give the bike a fair trial off road first though - and when traction's in my favour. If you haven't found one by next spring, keep in touch.

86 RG500
86 Nishiki Bushwacker
91 Merlin Mountain
93 Klein Adroit
95 Rocky Mountain Altitude
98 Trek OCLV VW
02 Santa Cruz Superlight

january ride

So I looked outside this morning and I saw this but decided to take the camera and have fun anyway.

I found a new fork last year, but just now got around to an update here. Also got some XTR canti's that are in great shape and are a good compliment to the bike.

Attachments

• hill.jpg
    hill.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 1,247
  • merlin.jpg
    merlin.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 1,247
  • juan de fuca.jpg
    juan de fuca.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 1,247
  • italian fork 2.jpg
    italian fork 2.jpg