Brainz 1995 Kona Kula

brainz

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Well I suspect that many of us, with our retro builds and current retro bike purchases are simply some of the purchases we wanted to make back in the day but could not. It is partially that way with me, I want all the different Parkpre MTN bike models from the early 90's. I remember drooling over the Marin Catalog in 1993. Always wanted a Slingshot and Pro-Flex back then too. Those Carbon Nuke Proof Hubs always caught my attention in the magazines and that sweet Marzocchi XC fork that aside from the CNC'd Manitou's, I thought was the most beautiful fork. Those magazines were all I had too, no Ebay.
It was all about the CNC and Anodized kits and I use to stare at those parts in the zines but never had the cash to make any of those purchases. My biggest purchase back then was my 1993 Parkpre Team925. Thankfully that is a great bike that lasted and got be thru 18 years dependably.
Now I find myself many years later collecting items I wanted BITD.

So a couple years after I purchased my Team 925 in 1993 I came across a magazine ad for the Kona Kula which I immediately fell in love with for a couple of reasons. 1. it had that sweet Marzocchi XC fork and secondly it was called Kula which was the name of my beloved feline! My girlfriend of that time was from Maui and Kula was the township she lived in at one time which is where we got the name for our cat, Kula. So naturally that Kona Kula would of been special to me if I could of had purchased it.

Fast forward to 2011 and I find the exact bike scrolling thru Ebay, with a pretty vague description, incorrect size listed and a few photos to show what appeared to be a near mint 18" 1995 Kona Kula with a BIN price of $200.00. Oh.. and that sweet Marzocchi XC600 Fork. So I had to snatch it up without even confirming the size and knowing the wife would comment since I've made several purchases this year already. Everyone here knows how that goes I imagine :p

I received it within a few days, packed extremely well too and sure enough it is in near perfect conditions. Most parts could pass for NOS. Every original part exist except for the rear "The Cleaner" tire and pedals.
I am extremely pleased! I still have yet to get photos of it together.
For now here are the pics from the auction.

KonaKula.jpg

untitled.jpg

fork.jpg
brakes.jpg

Beautiful bike! I love the '95 colors. I almost grabbed that one myself when I saw it was mostly original. I'm glad it went to someone who really appreciates it. Enjoy!

godders":27k45sk9 said:
Ooooh lush :cool: ......one of my fave kona colours, nice find .

Yes the color is real impressive in the daylight.

I have taken this bike for 2 decent rides so far, I nice 12 mile trail run and a 15 mile Urban rip around Detroit. Very nice ride it was! It was dark for the trail run but a beautiful day run in the city and I could not stop staring at this bike whenever we stopped. This is such a good looking Kona. I love the Kona Race Light parts on it, especially that seat post! Forgot my camera though for some nice urban shots. darn!

Mechanically perfect also! it shifted like a dream! Those X-Ray 800 shifter work very well. This was the first time I have used Grip Shift within a serious trail system and I was really impressed.

Before receiving this bike I was already searching for a set of m900 shifters because I was figuring I would not want to keep the X-Rays on there. I wanted to keep it original however and so now I am pleased to keep the X-Rays on there.

So the only items to get for the bike aside from pedals that were not present is some anodized bits. Yea.. I gotta have some anodized bits on all my bikes, I love that stuff! :p
What color bits do you get for this bike? Blue and green would work I guess and I thought about using gold since Kula means Gold and the decals are a pale gold color. I tried some gold bits that I have already and did not really like it.
However I think I am going to try orange anodized bits because there is orange in several of the decals and I always wanted some orange bits. Simply just some of the bolts, pulleys maybe & possibly some orange anodized skewers? I am not real impressed with the look of the XT Skewers, their a little boring. Those XT Hubs sure are pretty though!

It has been raining and dark here for several days now but I plan to get some pics taken to post here when the weather breaks.

Back