can you age this please specialized rockhopper

woodchip40

Retrobike Rider
i have just joined on the recommendation of a friend. i have a bike like this (not this actual one) and would like if possible someone to put a date to it please. one interesting thing about it is the position of the rear brake caliper i bought it from an advert in the friday ad a few years ago. i know this says 1986 but can i trust that as it is a library picture.
many thanks

Attachments

• 1986SpecializedStumpJumperOrange21a.JPG
    1986SpecializedStumpJumperOrange21a.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,065
  • IMAG0258 (640x383).jpg
    IMAG0258 (640x383).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 981
Hi - welcome aboard! :) That's a lovely bike, but I'm confused. This pic is a Stumpy , but you're asking to date a Rockhopper. :?

your rockhopper is an 87 i think,the other pic is an 86 stumpjumper. the stumpjumper was a higher spec bike, came with better equipment and at some point in time the frames were made of better metal than the lower down in the range rockhoppers. although i understand earlier ones shared the same frame

for an equivalent 87 stumpjumper the frame was cromo DB, yours was plain cro mo, stumpy in 87 had xt, your one had deore etc etc

have a look her for more info

http://mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm

Charlieboy28":304p2jwf said:
your rockhopper is an 87 i think,the other pic is an 86 stumpjumper. the stumpjumper was a higher spec bike, came with better equipment and at some point in time the frames were made of better metal than the lower down in the range rockhoppers. although i understand earlier ones shared the same frame

for an equivalent 87 stumpjumper the frame was cromo DB, yours was plain cro mo, stumpy in 87 had xt, your one had deore etc etc

have a look her for more info

http://mombat.org/Specialized_Specs.htm

I have to agree. I have an 86 Orange Stumpy like in the picture. I also have an 89 Rockhopper. 87 & 88 Rockhopper's had U brakes and the decals you have. In 89 they went to cantilever's on both ends but still had the same decals. The Stumpjumper while XT, is 6 speed friction shift. The Rockhopper is probably a 6 sp indexed bike. Good luck

Back