New boy's old Proflex

apache

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
2011-09-22_0.jpg

2011-09-22_2.jpg

I think these pics were taken around 1995-ish when I lived in Wales. I just bought myself a 656 frame and Vector forks and am embarking on a full nut and bolt refurb.

It wont be a faithful rebuild I'm afraid - its my first 'proper' refurb for a long time, and I'm planning on using retro parts where it's obvious, but under the skin I will probably change stuff for stuff that works better. A few pics of the Vectors demonstrate this.

I hope to build a Pine Mountain (another bike I owned from new back in the day) and a rigid Kona of some sort, simply cos I like 'em :)

DSCF2034.jpg

DSCF2029.jpg

I had to make some new pivots / bushes to get the shock to fit, but I have a lathe so it's pleasant work. The original elastomers had both melted AND gone rock hard! :D

Anyway folks, fabulous forum with loads of useful links and info! I hope one day to be a useful member!

the girvins have come up nice..any pics on the adaptions to get the shock to fit..quite a few in here would like that

if you show this mod and it works...you will be suprised how many poeple in here will be your new best friend

Gosh - I never expected so much interest in a non-original rebuild. I suppose regarding thepretty basic nature of the original 'suspension', improvement is welcome. Though, the original was pretty radical for it's day.

I'll gladly provide drawings and photos for adapting air shocks to the fork - once I've ridden it and ensured there is no unforseen weirdness. I imagine any 165mm or 190mm shock will fit (the lower swingarm can be flipped over - hence the two shock lengths that fit) but the bits you need to make may differ depending on the diameter of the mounting eyes. Either way, its not rocket science, and fairly rudimentary engineering facilities will see you sorted.

great pics, and great job on the Girvin! I hope you post a review of how this works on the trails

Back