Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:36 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:48 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Stunning :) , thought i was going to have to say it looked better with the mags (before scolling down to the pics), as mentioned usually GT = RockShox but have to say the forks and whole bike look ace :wink:

16" is the best size too 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:30 pm 
Old School Grand Master

am getting my first zaskar frame during the week, cant wait :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:32 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

jamabikes wrote:
am getting my first zaskar frame during the week, cant wait :D :D :D

Oooh what year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:46 pm 
Old School Grand Master

97 :D 18" though as i'm 6 foot and fairly long legged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:55 pm 
Retro Guru

nicely presented, no doubt when time & funds allow you to get it to how you want it will be very nice indeed!

3dv on a polished zaskar should be the law imho! it just looks right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:02 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

mikee wrote:
4 bolt crank needs to go too

Sort of agree with you on that... also 175mm crank which might be a bit long for my wee legs. Time will tell though, crank is growing on me. Only really just getting used to seeing my bike in it's new guise! :D

jax13 wrote:
3dv on a polished zaskar should be the law imho! it just looks right.

*phew* it's not just me and some weird purple fetish then. :) Difficult to know how far to go with it though.

(Although if mikee has a nice crank and some 3DV middleburn rings to swap for my XT I might be pursaded to swap. ;)

To be honest - I know that full Shimano might be a bit dull (esp. comared to the HOs, cantis, chill pills and so on that was on before) but I just want to be retro and functional. XT sort of fits the bill for that every time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:06 pm 
Retro Guru

looks great! nice to see it still going strong. i have an LTS frame of the same era stashed under my mumand dads house :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:09 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Oh and by the way, just wanted to say a quick thank you to all the retrobikers who have got me this far; be it some friendly advice on the forum, a karma crown race for the Pace (can't remember was that was, sorry), RC7, washers and fiddly bits and mountains of rebuild advice for the RC36 from Tim (who else), porcipaws from racerx, skewers, headset from Olly (who took them off an existing bike), thingy (sorry forgtten the name)'s use post and shim - someone else's karma shim and so on - I wouldn't have this lovely (albeit still in progress) bike ready to go. There were others, I'm sure.

(And this even includes fluffychicken endless hunt for 3dv brake cable outers - even though I did chicken out! :D )

Thanks everyone. :) Looking forward to putting all the bits I took back off the Zaskar on to the MaxTrax again... oh yes, another project lurks... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:10 pm 
Retro Guru

i wouldn't worry too much about an alternative crank throwing out the look of a matching group.

for me, if the mech's & shifters match, the brakes & levers match, you've got a matching wheelset & suitable finishing gear the rest will fall into place nicely & give a good looking build. there are a lot of factory spec builds out there already that will have full groups from hubs to mech's to levers and back down to the brakes so having something a little different will never be a bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:11 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

merckx wrote:
looks great! nice to see it still going strong. i have an LTS frame of the same era stashed under my mumand dads house :lol:

Thanks - get the brasso out on your LTS, give a tiny piece a polish and then remember, like I did, why you fell in love with it in the first place. Failing that give it me... I fancy a bouncy bike. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next