1994 Marin Eldridge Grade

Andrew Eldridge

Dirt Disciple
I have owned this bike since new, purchased in Middlesbrough in 1994. It cost a lot of money, more than I should have been spending.

It has been ridden a lot. I went all over the NY Moors and The Lakes for about 5 years. I emmigrated to Australia in 1999 and used it to commute. Once we got married and started a family I added a baby seat and carried my daughters around. I even used it for a few triathlons.

It still has mostly original parts, the chain and cassette have been replaced twice and there is a new (1999) seat and some SPD pedals.

I have decided to restore it so this seemed like a good place to document the process and to ask for the help, which I am going to need.

This will be a long process, but I am a prolific photographer of stuff so there will be updates if you are interested.

I have ordered a set of decals from Gil, so first up is to strip it down and get it powder coated. I am leaning towards white/black at the moment.

Once it's finished I will be a 'shoe in' for BOTM.

DSC_0648.jpg

DSC_0646.jpg

DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0660.jpg

hi nice to see a bike with a bit of personal history.

if i may make a comment though, you obviously love this bike and you have been through a lot together. The frame doesnt look bad. Have you thought about just tidying it up rather than a full respray? the patina is cool - every mark tells a story. The reason I say this is because a few years ago i embarked on the restoration of my owned from new Kona, the idea being to make it how I would have liked it to be when i was younger. That frame was a mess so i had it blasted and powder coated, it looked factory fresh.

I built it up with high end parts and it looked amazing, but it didnt feel like my bike any longer. I felt like I had taken away its soul. In the end it the connection had gone completely and a few months after the build it was stripped and sold.

I massively regret repainting the frame. If i didnt i would still have that bike now.

Good luck with the project.

lewis1641":2v1b711z said:
The frame doesnt look bad. Have you thought about just tidying it up rather than a full respray? the patina is cool - every mark tells a story.

Thanks for the response. I did consider this, but I think my mind is made up.
The parts will be essentially the same but the appearance will be tidier and cleaner.

To be honest, I think there are too many dings, scratches etc to clean up.

DSC_0684.jpg

Here it is now:
DSC_0690.jpg

DSC_0702.jpg

fair enough, different strokes for different folks.

i am sure it will be sweet when done.

there's one of these for sale near me, and if i hadn't just got a frame off Drewson, I'd be getting it.

will watch this in the hope that it scratches the itch and someone buys the other one

I took it to my LBS today to get the BB removed.
I bought the tool there but my stand wasn't strong enough and my socket set wasn't long enough.

Even with shop quality tools there was a lot of grunting and red faces. Came out in the end though.
Dropped the frame and forks off for the powder coat (high gloss white)

Found the original seat and bar ends, along with the touch up paint.
I still have the manual somewhere too.

DSC_0666.jpg

DSC_0663.jpg

Well after life getting in the way for a while I am back up and running.

I had to dig the powder coat out of the bb thread with a stanley knife, but I got there. I add a new bb and cranks as my originals were badly chipped and worn. New pedals as my old SPD's were all shitted up (tech term)

Added some nice decals from Gil.
I wasn't sure about the white on white but I really love the simplicity.

DSCN0629.JPG

DSCN0630.JPG

Having trouble getting the brakes back on over the powder coating. Looks like I may have to rub it down a little.

Back