1993 Raleigh Activator 2

johntomjoe

Retro Guru
Rescued from a thorn bush,new tyres chain and cables

now my personal ride afer selling my all disc /suspension y frame

Apparently Raleighs First venture into full suspension,its very comfy and good for pulling the kids trailer

If its the one i remember from bitd i would have left it in the thorn bush but i salute your eco credentials and glad you enjoy riding it.

Attachments

• 5890224427_23291501a4.jpg
    5890224427_23291501a4.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 17,095
Fit some Mag 21's and an LX gruppo and it'd be a half decent bike - I shall do it when a sensible sized frame comes up on eBay...

...there's actually one listed at the moment but it's collect only from North Wales :?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110748365562? ... 1438.l2649

Listed as an 18 1/2" frame but looks bigger than that to me?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
yeh thanks was thinking of putting it back in storage for now,seems all the mtbs from this era were crap from the right ups on forums!

back to the racer for now

We_are_Stevo":3fm2crpe said:
Fit some Mag 21's and an LX gruppo and it'd be a half decent bike - I shall do it when a sensible sized frame comes up on eBay...

I applaud the fact that people are not letting perfectly useable bikes languish in bushes etc, but lets be perfectly honest, if you put MAG 21s and an LX groupset on a Raleigh Activator frame it would still be a crap frame with some MAG 21s and an LX groupset on it. By putting some mid-level parts on a bike conceived out of nothing more than desperation and a convoluted old-men-sitting-at-a-boardroom-table-latching-onto-the-next-big-thing-before-someone-told-them-the-prawn-sandwiches-and-foaming-mugs-of-lunchtime-ale-where-here clutching at straws exercise you will not make an even half decent bike, I would be surprised if it would even be 12% decent (estimation based on the Pete McC scale of vintage MTB decency ®).

Incidentally, I would say to the OP that your bike is not 'crap' per se, it was designed to hit a price point, and offer something new and exciting to a bunch of something year olds for Christmas who would, for a short time at least, love that bike. And those that never got to appreciate the true, unabashed delight of riding an Activator and who had to settle for a Marauder/Maverick instead would look, nay gaze, at those Activators, eyes glassing over, maybe a wry smile forming on their pursed lips, thinking one day, one day...

I reckon there is some proper reto merit in owning a properly restored Activator. I'd be interested to see if with being looked after the frame would actually last. Look at the comparable (ie bottom end) MTBs produced today by Halfords or Decathlon and they won't last for a summer's short commute let alone riding off road. Good effort to the OP for rescuing one and planning to use it: but I would never mate it with Rockshox or higher end parts. If it needs restoring do it with the lowest end components, that is what it's about.

Didn't MBUK review this and say that the slack head tube angle made it handle "like a wheelbarrow full of melons?" Fruit rather than breasts one assumes.

Weigh it and let us know how much!
I had an Activator with just front suspension -in those days I was competing in powerlifting competitions and still found it quite weighty!

mmmmmm i think i shall be restoring it over the winter

everything seems to behave as id like for on road and slight off road with the kids trailer on ,it has a sprung saddle which makes it comfy and the soaking of wd40 worked!

and i will get round to weighing it soon

oh and i like that saying

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning!

im definately a horrible warning!

Attachments

• raleigh1st full susp.jpg
    raleigh1st full susp.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 16,931
Back