1992 Klein Attitude Graffiti

pete_mcc

Feature Bike
BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
In my University days I used to frequent one of the coolest shops in London - Magic Bicycles. This was the home to many of the most cutting edge bikes of the early 90s;Merlin, Clark Kent, Dekerf and Klyne. As a student the best I could do was buy their second hand ex-team bikes but I really lusted after the sparkly stuff that hung from the high rafters.

I've now got most of the bikes that I lusted after but one always escaped me - the Clein Attitude. Back then it was expensive and rare, a bike that was owned by city-boys with sharp suits and slick back hair or bean-pole thin racers who owned the Beastway race series.

I always said 'Once they come down in price I will get myself one', problem was they never did. But, eventually, karma called and a well loved Kline fuselage came my way via a star in the States.

e2e45aa0.jpg

This frame was used and abused. It had been drilled for V-brakes and had suffered the indignity of having its noodle 'bobbitted', but with a bit of care and some surgical epoxy it was made whole again:

8285e6a4.jpg

Next issue was the paint. This Klyne had already been resprayed so I had no worries about stripping off the old and applying some new, but what to choose? I wanted this bike as a rider, unlike most of my bikes that are wall flowers, so I wanted a robust finish that would look good for years to come.
For me that excluded the 'traditional' Kliene fades. I also wanted to be period correct for the 92 frame which also dropped another bunch of spray jobs. But to my rescue came www.oldklein.com .

There was one paint job that ticked all my boxes:

1) Found on 1992 frames
2) Used the 1993 style 'debossed' decals
3) Was a little more unusual than the average bear
4) Would last and last and keep on looking good

..and that was the Team Graffiti paint job:

http://www.oldklein.com/kleinit/AttitudeGraffiti92.htm
graffiti2.JPG

This was a team only paint job, it was made for the 1993 season using the leftover 1992 bikes. There were apparently only 10 examples made and each was absolutely unique.

Now, everyone knows that there is only one place to get a decent paintjob done on a Clyne and that is by Jonrock at www.kleinspainted.com. Jon hadn't ever tried a Graffiti but it was a challenge he was up for. He's in touch with old Klein painters and used these contacts to get a better understanding of how to achieve it. After a few practices..

b165c0e0.jpg

...Jon got it spot on! 'Go for it' I said, and he did.

3f97b043.jpg

The build was going to be a NOS, period correct, but robust 'work-a-day' build, with my usual exclusion of anything Shimano. Running gear was Suntour XC-Pro using the lesser know wishbone thumbies. The wheels were Kingsbery hubs on Mavic M231CD holding blackwall Rititichey Z-max. The cranks were one of my last pairs of NOS Cooks with Chris Bell rings up front and a semi alloy Regina block up back spinning on a Rohloff chain. Speedplay Magnums get the bike going, Grafton Maglites and Re-entry levers bring it to a halt. Finally Bonty pork-rinds and a Flite on Syncros 425mm post keep the hands and arse happy.

SNC14885.jpg

P1040480.jpg

SNC14889.jpg

Now I am a happy boy, I have a bike that I've always wanted and one that I will happily give some stick.

Big thanks obviously go to Jonrock, his quality is second to none and his attention to detail and desire to 'get it right' is there in everything he does. I also have to thank my superstar American benefactor who sourced and sent this over. The time and trouble he took in doing so with be repaid in karma for a looong time. Finally I have to thank a couple of Klienophiles whose anal nitpicking ensured that I wasn't going to get away with anything. Oh, and Rod Saetan for being the 80's style guru whose knowledge of neon is only matched by the guy in charge of Picadilly Circus.

Nice

Nice work Pete that is insane!
must be a BOTM Neon entry!
Tc

Back