Ibis Hakkalugi revamp

SteveW

Retro Guru
Ready for the autumn leaves for yet another year.
This year's revamp includes MacMahon Steely Dan cranks, Pace extruder-groove rings. Duraace 9 speed bar end shifters, pre-production extrawide Bonty drops, Cane Creek wheels, IRC Crossfire 32C treads, XTR gear mechs, Chris King headset, Titec stem, Pauls Cross-Top enabler levers...

Attachments

• PICT0001.jpeg
    PICT0001.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 2,010
koas... wheels are standard 700c road wheels. The Hakkalugi was probably one of the first cross bikes designed with enough tyre clearance for big 'off road touring' 700c tyres, well before the days of 29ers

Here is a quote from a magazine interview with Ibis cycles founder Scot Nicol on the origins of the Hakkalugi concept and name:
http://www.bikemag.com/blog/dirty-words ... -hand-job/
'Nicol is not sure how many steel Hakkalügis were made, but he’s sure “less than 1,000 overall. As for the Hakkalügi name, that was another non-connected set of brain farts that set that name into motion. My memory is fuzzy on this, but I think it was a friend’s Ultimate frisbee team that was named Team Hock a Loogie.'

“Around the same time, Bruce Gordon was doing his 29ers, er, I mean Rock n Road bikes with these huge 700 x 43C Hakkapelita tires. Somehow, a couple of hakka synapses connected in my brain and we had a name for our new CX bike. The umlaut is totally made up. Hakkapelita tires are Finnish and there’s no umlaut in Finnish. “

In the early 1980's several Marin framebuilders were building mountain bikes fitted with 650b Nokia (now Nokian) Hakkapeliitta snow tires from made in Finland. Some of these bikes were entered in cyclo-cross races and performed well. These fat knobly 650b Finnish tires came from Gary Fisher and Charlie Kelly who imported them from English off-road pioneer Geoff Apps. Apps says that he also exported a few hundred 700c Hakkapeliitta tires. For decades until the story of Bruce Gordon's 'Rock n Road' bikes emerged, what happened to these big fat 700x47c tires remained a mystery in the UK. Now it appears that they helped to kick-start the emergence in Marin County of a new breed of 700c fat tired bikes now known as 29ers. And also the Ibis' Hakkalugi model, whose very name links back to the icy winters of Finland.

Attachments

• Hakkapeliitta012.JPG
    Hakkapeliitta012.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 1,080
Back