Marin Bolinas Ridge - 96 (aka the pub bike)

fr0sty

Dirt Disciple
So I just finished my first retro bike. It's not really that retro any more seeing as most old parts were rusted to hell and back. New parts were bought and found on the cheap.

Well here is my Marin Bolinas Ridge from 1996. I quite like the way it turned out. Next upgrades include some cheap matching wheels and a real tensioner. Other than that its a fine steed.

First ride was a rainy, muddy, slow, hard 15 km around my local forest. Loved it.

The hardest part of putting it together was "polishing" (yeah right) the blue LX cranks. Anyway, what's the verdict?

Attachments

• Marin.jpg
    Marin.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,484
fr0sty":1zo17zdq said:
So I just finished my first retro bike. It's not really that retro any more seeing as most old parts were rusted to hell and back. New parts were bought and found on the cheap.

Well here is my Marin Bolinas Ridge from 1996. I quite like the way it turned out. Next upgrades include some cheap matching wheels and a real tensioner. Other than that its a fine steed.

First ride was a rainy, muddy, slow, hard 15 km around my local forest. Loved it.

The hardest part of putting it together was "polishing" (yeah right) the blue LX cranks. Anyway, what's the verdict?

Looks cool :)

I wouldn't bother finding a 'proper' singlespeed tensioner though. A rear mech does the job just as well, if not better, plus it doesn't look as ugly as having a tensioner bolted on in its place.

Just get yourself a funky little short cage rear mech and job done!

Good point. I was also thinking of modifying the derailleur but if I can find a short cage one that might even be better should I decide to ever run the bike 1x7-8.

fr0sty":2sy3a9v5 said:
Good point. I was also thinking of modifying the derailleur but if I can find a short cage one that might even be better should I decide to ever run the bike 1x7-8.

A short cage road mech (Shimano 105 is cheap enough and it's good quality) would do the job nicely. They've got a good strong spring in them too so they'd keep the chain nice and tight :)

Funnily enough I had a short cage XT mech up for sale on here just this morning. It's been sold now though!

There's a nice DX mech for sale HERE.

It's a long cage but it would do the job just as well. Looks trick too with the green bolts and it's a bargain at £18 (I bet you could get it for £14-£15) :)

Back