My Brother's GT STS DH

dancingjack

rBotM Winner
So here we are starring at another abandoned bike. My brother got this around 10 years ago from eBay to relive those good old days he had with his Manitou FS. Got it shipped to Singapore and yes, it did cost an arm and a leg back then due to the insane exchange rate(unlike today).

As we do not have any long downhill routes here in Singapore, he swapped out those original AC parts and converted the front to an XT crank+derailer. Should have kept those parts but he didn't, unfortunately…

We went off-road together a number of times and enjoyed ourselves. That travel at the rear really brings a laugh whenever I think about my brother trying to pedal uphill. :twisted:

He eventually moved on to motorcycles and then to cars. This bike was left aside to collect dust. And after almost 6-8 years, it's in need of some restoration works.

The stickers fell off like snowflakes and some of the bolts were rusting. But the other components were working quite well surprisingly. So I need to get some stickers and if possible, spare parts for the Formula Brakes, especially the rotor.

Here're some pictures of it when I brought the bike back last week:

IMG_5560.jpg

IMG_5542.jpg

IMG_5541.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

IMG_5539.jpg

IMG_5536.jpg

IMG_5535.jpg

Wow that's really nice.

Looks like it has just done a downhill race & then parked up for 10 years.

Interested in seeing the restoration

Holy batsh!t!

That is awesome. Would be brilliant if you could reinstate the AC gear but it would be a hard bit of kit to find.

That is gorgeous!! :cool:

But.... Isn't that a crack in the aluminium by on the top tube (near the headtube)..? It's probably just a mark :)

That's an awesome bike. If I hadn't just bought 2 bikes I'd be offering you all sorts of money for it! First thing I'd do is get rid of those DHOs though..!

Hi guys, I'm at the cross road now with this GT STS-DH restoration project for my brother.

Do any of you guys know where I can purchase the rotors for the 4 bolt system? He has sent Formula a message but as expected, Formula replied it's too old and they do not keep spares.

If not, I will have to change the whole brake system, get adapter for the rear and maybe change to a set of new-skool Spinergy wheels. Input please!!!

Thank you in advance!

-Jack
________

Back