Muddy Fox Explorer Mega

wackywacerwill

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks, new here.

I got this Muddy fox Explorer Mega many moons ago from a workmate, it belonged to his then girlfriend who never really used it and so it sat out in all weathers on a fire escape in Deptford gaining it's rather fetching patina. I'd always had my eye on it (bike, not girlfriend though she was nice too) and once it was mine set about a rudimentary recommissioning.

Contrary to it's appearance it rode and needed only the brakes and gears adjusting and a new chain as that was beyond saving despite my best efforts, even got away without changing the cassette. Grips were on the turn so 2 old clutch side motocross grips were slid on and remain to this day despite their mismatchness. It had hateful cheapo plastic brake levers on so these were binned and replaced with the purple ones simply because they were in a box of bits I inherited from Blackfen bike shop years ago. (honestly I wouldn't have chosen them)

It was pressed into service as a get to work bike hence the road rubber. I lent it to mate who used it maybe once or twice before leaving the country. The bike was left in his landlords garage who I also know though every time we met was in the pub where I made promises of fetching it back though never seemed to remember the next day, or the day after or the day after that...
It sat gathering dust and cobwebs till one day I had a call from a close pal who had just cleared the garage and had all the old tut scrap in his garden, I caught wind of this and he was somewhat surprised to hear I wanted my bike back as it was not quite ready for his frag pile.

Enough history, here she is in all her rusty glory.

BBbeachraceandbikes026.jpg

BBbeachraceandbikes023.jpg

Since getting the bike back I've readjusted brakes and gears and added a pair of onza bar ends that were kicking about in the kitchen, I knew they were there although one took some finding as it had worked it's way under the fridge ::)

BBbeachraceandbikes024-1.jpg

Bars now cut down to personal preference and back in regular service again, mainly with a kiddy seat on the back as my youngest hasn't got enough leg for proper peddling yet.

Just won a Raleigh road bike on the bay so the fox will get some knobbers put back on it for dirty duties once more. Rear mech's pretty shot now though I may get away with just a clean as it is pretty filthy.

Have been told it's a 95 model which sounds about right, not top end but a decent bike all the same. If anyone has any info I'd be pleased to know.

Hi.

Shows how well made they were :D

A bit more TLC and it will look like new

Back