A European Mountain Bike

Merlin

Old School Hero
I swapped the RockShox on my Alves for Pace forks.

see
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

This led to changing the Dia Compe brakes to Campagnolo as I wanted to use the brake rocker and my Dia Compe 987 cantilever brakes have the cable attachment well away from the centre of the boss, which made cable pull to the rocker very oblique. It then occured to me that having removed American and Japanese components the bike was becoming more European, so I put on a Brooks Saddle and Campagnolo seat post.

As it now stands:

Scotland - Frame (Alves)

England - Frame tubes (Reynolds), Forks (Pace), Saddle (Brooks), Bar Ends (X Lite)

France - Headset (Stronglight)

Italy - Hubs, Rims, Chainset, Cassette, Bottom Bracket, Derailleurs, Shifters, Brakes, Brake Levers, Pedals (Campagnolo). Stem (Cinelli)

Germany - Chain (Rohloff), Tyres and tubes (Continental) but manufactured in Taiwan and China

The only significant non European part is the Answer handlebars. I once had some Reynolds 753 bars but they were so short I donated them to a child's bike.

Attachments

• AlvesPace 006w.jpg
    AlvesPace 006w.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,379
  • AlvesPace 008w.jpg
    AlvesPace 008w.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,379
  • AlvesPace 003w.jpg
    AlvesPace 003w.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,379
  • AlvesPace 007w.jpg
    AlvesPace 007w.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,379
European bike

Got to say that you've made a really impressive job of that, and eveything sits so well together.........apart from the Brooks saddle. An X-lite with red trim would have looked boss.

Re: European bike

richmog08":1sl6bwhp said:
Got to say that you've made a really impressive job of that, and eveything sits so well together.........apart from the Brooks saddle. An X-lite with red trim would have looked boss.

Thanks, the Brooks was the only English saddle I had to hand on a Saturday morning. I suppose I could have used an Italian Flite to stay European but the only one I have is on an another bike.

Credit for the Pace forks, which inspired the change, goes to justbackdated.

I bought those Campagnolo cantilevers in 1992 and never used them. They are not the most stylish brakes but I think the black colour goes well with the Pace forks and they work, so I am glad I held on to them.

European bike

I dont know about the levers, i thought that the black gave them an understated quality look. I liked that Campy stuff. Had a nice set of Stheno rims, totally bombproof!

kermitgreenkona88":2tf1ykp4 said:
Lovely bike and very nice build :cool:

Aren't those Tioga clips and straps :LOL:

Well done! Almost certainly not European.I think they are Cateye clips and straps, I will check in the morning. The clips and straps were put on those pedals in 1992 and the pedals and clips have laid in a box from then until a couple of weeks ago when I put them back on this bike instead of SPDs. I was too keen to get riding to take the rather garish clips off the pedals but I have started to get used to them. They must have been on special offer in 1992 because I can't imagine why I bought those clips otherwise.

Back