Finally got it FINISHED ....... VERY PACE HEAVY

ratcapa

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
Funk Fan
Feedback
View
Well finally got started on what is for me a very special build today. I've had the frame some time but I didn't want to start building it until I knew it could be finished (have all the components), well at least to a ridable state. Before I do go any further I'd like to thank all the guys on here who I've had parts off esp stick legs who I'm sure really didn't want to part with the frame and forks but for injury. ;) Hopefully you like

Anyway what really got me pushing for all the parts was that a few weeks ago several of these were outed in a short timespan and all really sweet builds some very similar in spec to the sum of parts I was collecting.

Here's the beggining and the beggining of my first scratch build. I'll try and add as many pic's as poss but sorry If I get a little carried away

DSC00660.jpg

DSC00658.jpg

DSC00654.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

DSC00659.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

Some of you no doubt know what this is by the time you're reading this....

DSC00649.jpg

DSC00650.jpg

DSC00652.jpg

DSC00648.jpg

After looking longingly into her eyes she got a bit of a shine up as she'd been in a cardboard box for months which is no place for a Pace.

DSC00662.jpg

The remains of the old headset came out alot easier than expected and the new one in just as easily.

DSC00663.jpg

DSC00664.jpg

Had the choice of XT and DX for the shifters but for now gonna go with the latter, they're practically new and mix well so far, still had new bolts as has the stem.

DSC00667.jpg

Just as we're getting into the swing of it and holted.. :x :x

Can't get the bloody BB out but will be back on it hopefully over the weekend with more tools. So I leave you with this.

DSC00669.jpg

yeh dont stop...i was just getting excited. Mate all those parts are minty....!!!! :cool:

Thanks guy's but had to stop in the end, the tool we had to try and budge the BB was damaged and needs new roller pins instead of the allen keys it had been fitted with at some point that were just bending. Off to the Peaks tomorrow so hopefully mon at the latest it'll get going again, anyway it has to, the only things stopping it now is time :cry:

:shock: Holy Cr...

Looks like something really special is taking shape here. Those parts are all just perfect.
I'm usually not the kind of person who says this, but I'm certainly going to follow this build.

One bit of advice tho, seeing as you mention it's your first scratch build.
As anyone who has built something from scratch can testify, it is very tempting to cut corners near the end of the build. If you ever feel that temptation, don't give in to it.

Well, thanks again for the coments guys but after a rather dissapointing end to Friday's assembly there has been more trouble today.

1st. Too much vino and late night films last night (The human Centipede)
making me late out of bed and with a fuzzy head
2nd Leisure lakes not answering phone 3 times
3rd Driving to leisure lakes as its closest shop to me for pin spanner to be told they don't have one so having to go all the way in to town to Evans to buy it :evil: :evil:
4th Getting to mates house to continue, taking first sip of tea and I forgot to get choc digestives again despite popping into Tesco earlier!
5th Going to local shop, it's closed (tea getting cold) so off to petrol station gets to check out " thats £2.29 sir" :evil: :evil:
"But it says £1.75" :twisted: :twisted: "ok i'll get someone to check" , anyway back just in time for dunking and with change from the £1.80 i took with me :D :D :D :D

So its now half past two and overdue on removing this BB. No good, won't budge and its bending the spanner

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Quick mod with a hose clamp and insulting tape
DSC00673.jpg

even after all the penetrant soaking it overnight it still won't budge, how annoying :twisted: :twisted:

Blatently this BB is not going to survive its extraction but the frame has to so some careful placement of tape on frame and tool req'd, looks a bit shoddy but here goes
DSC00674.jpg

ITS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But whats this that had stopped it being so???????????????????????

Thread lock on a Ti it turns out HOPE BB and one of the best engineered frames of all time!!
DSC00675.jpg
:? :? :? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Well I'm still struggling to get my head around what was going through that persons mind but never the less after seriously thinking this frame might be going in the bin with my sanity........ ta da!
DSC00677.jpg

Syncros in, crank arms on.
DSC00676.jpg

DSC00679.jpg

Quick check of the frame no. and clean under the cable router
DSC00680.jpg

Then more new stainless bolts and a screw.
DSC00682.jpg

Strip down and re grease the rear mach
DSC00684.jpg

Now at this point we added mechs and some temp wheels with of a view the tyres (not intentionally as they were just easiest and to hand) may stay but I'd forgotten another thing, skewers so had to be careful but managed to get a few more pics before wrapping it up until tomorrow and lets just say I'll sleep easier tonight knowing the worst is out of the way.

DSC00695.jpg

DSC00694.jpg

DSC00693.jpg

Hopefully with the aid of some skewers and a temp seat then tomorrow we'll see how much of the steerer needs to be cut and get a rough set up for these
DSC00696.jpg

DSC00690.jpg

Back