YOU decide! A build question.

Russell

Old School Grand Master
I tend to keep my bikes to myself but thought I'd be a bit more sociable and open up my next two builds.

I have two frames...

An early 90's Dave Yates Diablo
9763795a12941680007l.jpg

and

A Late 80's Ritchey Ascent Comp (thanks Dave :))
9763795a12941680009l.jpg

I have two complete groupsets.

1. Shimano XT (M730/732)
2. Shimano Deore (MT60/62)

I can't decide which groupset to put on which frame. Who gets the XT? The US pioneer or the Brit pretender to the throne?

What would you do?

dirttorpedo":2mbrcrpz said:
Being a Canadian who lives near the birthplace of Rocky Mountain bikes I'd give the XT to the Rocky.

:?: Have I missed something?

I would give the MT60 to the Ritchey. Think it would fit the idea that this was a Ritchey real folk could afford.

Plus the XT would be more than suitable for the lovely Yates! Win win.

Luke

my humble opinion for what its worth.....

both frames are similar, in design, fastback stays etc, Not sure i would call the Yates the british pretender though, the frames handbuilt in the U.k using columbus tubing and is fillet brazed, the ritchey from memory is made in the far east and is tig welded.

Although theres not much in it, i think i would put the higher group on the Yates.....!!!!

As the Sinner says, the Yates is actually the more finessed product. Should make a good ride comparison come the day - look forward to reading your views Russell...

Russell":jwocd22x said:
Emotionally, the Yates should have the XT, it may be a 'production' bike like the Ritchey, but as you say, its hand made in the UK.

The Ritchey would have come with XT originally though...

http://www.oldmountainbikes.com/catalog ... 989_07.jpg

Looking forward to finishing these and comparing the ride, the differences in the geometry are staggering.

its a similar scenario to what im doing with my Dave Yates and Orange Prestige,

The Yates being handmade in smaller numbers in a frame shop in the uk, the Prestige being produced in far east in much bigger quantities. Both i consider to be of similar quality and retail price.

you mention the geometry is staggeringly different...? what differences instantly jump out at you...???? do you/could you take some good pics of the two side by side/together...???

a review of the Yates that you may/may not have seen.

http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/images ... 9412cw.pdf

you could pretty much choose your spec, regardless of the frame you chose, i dont think you can go wrong with what you choose to build the Yates with.

Back