I was hoping to ride it by now, but had some trouble with the cable stops. Those are sorted now, so I can begin to build.
Here's what it looks like right now.
P2230004m.jpg [ 93.22 KiB | Viewed 14 times ]
Still need to :
- Clean and install the front cantilevers
- Install the brake pads
- do all the cabling
- straighten that darn 46T chainring
- find new tyres (these Panaracer Smokes are seriously unsafe due to a disintegrating carcass)
- re-grease the wheel bearings
As for taking off the cassette : Cassette vs Raging_Bulls : 1-0 so far.
Thanks to the huge amounts of degreaser and WD-40 I used in my attempt to un-seize the lockring, the bearings now sound like they're running dry. They needed an overhaul anyway, so that's not a problem.
The front mech is now on the bike, but there's a lot of chrome missing. I suspect it'll start rusting again soon, in which case I'll need to find another one.
If anyone has a good XT FD-M735 bottom pull in 31.8 size and wants to sell it, get in touch please.
I'm awaiting delivery of a few sets of Avid Tri-Dangle cable hangers, so there's little I can do for now.
Tomorrow I'll be test-fitting the bike so I can align the saddle and levers, and then I'll clean the front cantis and cut the outer cables to length.
Not sure about sorting out that 46T tomorow, but I might do that as well so I can put the crankset on. IF I can sort out the chainring, I'll be installing the chain as well.
I might walk it to my old job sometime next week (not going to ride 8 miles on dry rear bearings). They have a super mechanic there and better tools than me.
Pretty sure he'll be able to sort out the rear wheel.
EDIT : Got tired of looking at those front cantis, so I cleaned them, re-greased them and put them on the bike.