1992 Sbike 728 - FINISHED : pics p.5

Raging_Bulls

Sbike Fan
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi all.

I used to own a highly customized Sbike 503, but that was stolen in 2003. I wanted another one ever since, but always searched locally because I was too suspicious of eBay. Didn't find a single Sbike for sale in Belgium for 8 years.
Last week I was doing a Google search on all different Sbike models and ended up looking at this picture ... on eBay.

It's not a 503 and the auction was only for a frame and forks, but nevertheless it was love at first sight. I just had to have it, so I made my first eBay purchase ever and had it flown from Spain to Belgium.

The frame arrived yesterday with 2 forks. One fixed (an Alpinestars, with an ODSystem sticker on it), and one suspension fork (a Rockshox Quadra in a rather ... ermm ... used state). They're 1 1/4" with threaded stem.

At first I was worried about what looked like a crack in the frame's rear section, but it turned out to be a false alarm.
However there are too many scratches and marks on the frame to just polish it, so I'll have to paint it.

Painting the frame means the originality will be lost, so I see no reason to go for a retro build. Might as well bring it into the current decade then. I don't have the original Sbike fork anyway, and those are hard to get a hold of.
I'll ditch both forks in favor of a fixed non-threaded aluminium fork and a modern headset. I doubt I'll be able to sell the old forks, as they're made for a really short (100mm, or roughly 4") headset.

I took the wheels out of my 2004 Bulls for a test fit. The width of my 2.2" Bontrager Hank slicks was no issue, but the height was. There is only 20mm between the rear tyre and the seat tube.
My 2004 Bulls' front mech needs 29mm of space behind the seat tube and the 2011 XT affair on my other Bulls still needs 23mm. So I'll need smaller tyres. :evil:
At least the mold lines in the middle of the slicks showed that the frame is straight as an arrow.

I don't plan on cutting corners and then upgrading, so this is going to be a slow build.

So, the initial idea :

- modernized stickers, with respect to the traditional ones' looks. I'll probably need to have a word with Gil_M about that when he gets back.
- modern aluminium fork and steering stem, but old-style handlebars with Club Roost brace (to show that it's a 90's bike after all).
- lightweight wheels, but strong enough to ride without worrying.
- new BB and full 2011 or 2012 XTR drivetrain.
- Magura HS33 brakes, fully kitted out.
- 1.50 or 1.75" full-slicks.

As I said, I plan to have it finished near the end of the winter. So don't expect frequent updates.

Attachments

• 719.jpg
    719.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 914
  • IMAG0020s.jpg
    IMAG0020s.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 914
  • IMAG0028s.jpg
    IMAG0028s.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 912
Watching this thread with interest as I've just accepted the offer of an S Bike (800 - I think) frame - it arrives in mid-September.

MrKawasaki,

The Sbike modeling system was a bit of a mess. It almost seems like they picked the numbers at random.
Several models have identical frames, but the components would be from a different group, which apparently justified labeling it as a new model.
That means there were a lot of models, but only few bikes of each. Except for the 503, which seems rather common by Sbike standards.

I'm currently still trying to put together as much info as I can, and plan to put it all in a spreadsheet over the weekend and upload it for those interested.

As for the 8xx range, I haven't come across an 800 yet. However there is the 808, which is an aluminium hardtail, and several 8xx models which are full suspension bikes.
They're all rather rare. The 808 was the most common 8xx model, but there don't seem to be many left due to cracks in the rear section. (the common problem with the aluminium rigid/hardtail Sbike frames)

-----

EDIT : just looked at that album you linked to in your signature, and the Sbike I see there (the #251 bike) is not an 8xx model but a 729 Daytona, just like mine. You can even read the number on the top tube of the rear triangle (or should I refer to it as the swingarm?)

Have you tryed the bike out yet :cool: they fly mate very fast bikes in the corners and ultra low at the front end :D

A friend of mine does airbrush artwork, so I called him today to discuss various options regarding paint. We decided to go with a plain colour and vinyl text and logos.

Right now the choice is made. It'll be a white frame (and fork) with black text. Fitting, as my 503 was also white and the only white Sbike I've seen to date.
Magura had a white+silver HS-33 set in 2010, so I'll get that ASAP. The white will fit the frame, the silver (and black) should go well with the XTR set and the Club Roost handlebar brace I have in mind.
Black steering stem, headset (prolly CK), seat and seat post. Oh, and black rims too. All that black will really highlight the shape of the frame. Then again I just might change the details while I'm building the bike.

Sounds like a monochrome affair so far, but It'll have the oiginal swiss flags (Sbike's logo really) on the headset and swingarm. I am also thinking of tracking down a NOS dark blue renthal riser bar. (like the blue in this pic)
That should be just enough colour to make the bike stand out without turning it into an o.r.g.y of colours like today's bikes. I can see the finished product in my mind already.

Either way, I'll have my work cut out for me. Today I realised that the cable stops on the frame don't support hydraulic cables, so if I want a functional rear brake I'll need to make custom ones that can hold such cables. I'm not just going to zip-tie the cables to the frame like most of these conversions.

Oh, the comments ...

racer x":3byodoru said:
Have you tryed the bike out yet :cool: they fly mate very fast bikes in the corners and ultra low at the front end :D
Haven't tried this one out yet. It was just a frame + forks when I bought it and I still need to purchase all the parts for it.
My 503 already was wickedly fast, and that was an older Cro-Mo frame so it stands to reason that this'll humiliate just about every other bike on the street.
Alledgedly it was a 719 or 729 (they have the same frame anyway) that won the 1992 downhill world championship, so this frame does have some serious racing pedigree.

clockworkgazz":3byodoru said:
pulling up a chair on this build :cool:
Make lots of popcorn. TBH I don't plan on finishing it in 2011 as I can only afford to spend about £400 on it every month.

Have to see this one progress to something nice! :p

Got myself a 503 (follow the link in my signature) and still have a 729 frameset waiting to be build! This could inspire me....! ;)

Back