1996 Sunn xchox

Rumble

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
This one's taken a long time, and a lot of patience, to build up but I'm really chuffed with the result. Only ever seen one other of these, in France this summer, and can't find any info on the original spec. The only NOS 1" forks I could find were red, so they gave rise to the red theme. I'll let the pictures do the talking...

SNV30369.jpg

SNV30376.jpg

SNV30370.jpg

SNV30374.jpg

SNV30373.jpg

SNV30371.jpg

SNV30375.jpg

SNV30372.jpg

SNV30377.jpg

Still got a couple of finishing touches to add, and the saddle needs to change, but the spec highlights are:

Frame: Sunn xchox (1996?)
Fork: RST Mozo Pro 2.5
Fr Mech: XTR
Rr Mech: XTR
Shifters: STX RC
Brakes: DX V-brakes & levers (w. Fred Salmon Brake Booster)
Wheels: XT hubs, Mavic 517 citron rims
Chainset: FSA PowerPro cranks, Sugino rings, MOWA red chainring bolts
Stem: Fred Salmon
Bars: Tioga
Bar-ends: Onza
Grips: On-one foam lock-ons
Seatpost: Post Modern
Saddle: Cannondale (for now)

Had a look through the Sunn catalogue for 1996 - the frame is stickered as the cheaper xchox model, but looks like the frame is the same on both specs. I've included the spec for the more expensive model below - interesting comparison but I'll never get it back to catalogue spec!

96x32.jpg

96x34.jpg

The red doesn't do it for me :?

The catalog picture of the bike is far more subtle but thats just my boring tendencies!

How does it ride?

Looks to be a good suspension design :cool:

Not had a chance to ride it yet :oops:

I really like how it's turned out - just the kind of over the top colour-scheme it might have been subjected to by the original owner in 1996! It's a keeper so it might get a more subtle makeover one day, but don't hold your breath.

I like the colour scheme, but not the headset ;)

As for the catalogue, they have pics of a guy having a major fall :? really the best way to advertise ?

New saddle and rear shock (what an epic hassle that proved to be!), and ride pics from today. It rides very nicely, just enough bounce at each end to take the edge of the trail, position is a little racey so I'll be on the lookout for a shorter stem or an inline seatpost.

DSC00479.jpg

DSC00480.jpg

Poland-style... I'm sorry. To much mess with weird coloured/looking components. The red does not math each other.
Would be much nicer with a rock shox fork and silver components. Maybe XT from around 1996-1997?

Ha - if the red(s) aren't popular that makes me like it even more! I needed a fork with a 1" steerer, the Mozo Pros weren't my first choice but they came up as NOS and actually function pretty well, certainly much better than the bargain basement stuff they did. I agree the painted red doesn't match the ano red but I like it all the same, and as it's getting ridden i'm not going to bother matching things up unless i'm replacing anyway.

No updates to the spec but it got a ride out at MacRetro's annual Baltic Bawbags last Saturday...

IMG_20130209_134223_zpsf566c752.jpg

IMG_20130209_135120_zps64ab9bd3.jpg

IMG_20130209_122540_zpsb01c4905.jpg

Back