The Bike A Week Chronicles

Little Mark

Retro Guru
Much likes buses, my bikes seem to turn up in pairs having suffered a drought for months on end. I thinned out the fleet earlier in the year and was waiting patiently for the right condition bike to appear - then BANG - two in two weeks.

First to be found in a local bike shop as a trade-in was a 1998 Kona Lavadome in more or less, minty condition to reflect the minty paintwork. Complete with barely worn Kona tyres, the previous owner used it infrequently and clearly took great care of it. It is standard spec, a mix of LX/STX drivetrain and Avid v-brakes.

OK, so that was Friday; fast forward to Monday.

I briefly popped into my usual LBS - Bigpeaks at Ashburton - after a bike box for some packing and lurking in the corner was the Cannondale Killer V 900 - complete with amberwall tyres. A quick glance at the price ;) and the deal was done.

If possible, the Cannondale is even cleaner than the Kona. Dating from, I think 1995, it is stock apart from the saddle that was changed for the previous lady owner when purchased. It is in amazing condition - mostly Coda finishing kit and LX drivechain.

These are the best two bikes I've seen come up locally for some time. Bigpeaks has had a rash of Cannondales over the past few months, but condition-wise the Killer V is the best.

I am now under strict orders to avoid any bike shop for some considerable time!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• dale1 mod.JPG
    dale1 mod.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 1,262
  • dale2 mod.JPG
    dale2 mod.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 1,262
  • dale3 mod.JPG
    dale3 mod.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 1,262
  • dale4 mod.JPG
    dale4 mod.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 1,262
And the Kona....

Attachments

• Kona2 mod.JPG
    Kona2 mod.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 1,260
  • kona3 mod.JPG
    kona3 mod.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 1,260
  • kona7 mod.JPG
    kona7 mod.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 1,260
  • kona8 mod.JPG
    kona8 mod.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 1,260
Can we be cheeky and ask how much you paid? They both look brand new!
I think I'm going to be checking out the LBS the next time I take a trip home to Devon.

I've seen these two in the flesh & they are virtually like new old stock. Amazing, now watch them go downhill from here as one of them at least becomes a "winter hack"! Still, they deserve to be used.
Guess that's one advantage of riding a tiny frame - good chance of one very careful lady owner. (I'm not sexist or 'owt.)
Great finds Mark!

yagamuffin said:
Can we be cheeky and ask how much you paid? They both look brand new!

Ah, that would be telling :D Less than a new, budget hardtail from Halfords!

Some good stuff turns up - misses include a very original Orange P7, couple early Rocky Mountains, few Cannondales - and all usually in good condition.

jimbo-xc":1fkdwg38 said:
Guess that's one advantage of riding a tiny frame - good chance of one very careful lady owner. (I'm not sexist or 'owt.)
Great finds Mark!

Thanks Jim - for once being a short-arse works out nicely! And yes, both were "one careful lady owner from new".
And you are right, one will be used as a winter hack - most likely the Kona, but will be looked after and mostly road work for dirty commutes or night time rides around the country lanes. A bike was built to be ridden - so let's ride!

Cannondale full suspension designs are ugly as sin in my opinion, but for some reason I really like the rigid Killer Vs. Kind of recalls an EWR or other East Coast trail bikes with the odd tubing arrangements.

Nice pick up!

al-onestare":taqnsfbo said:
The Kona is a 98.

Is that '98 model year so sold '99 or back then did they not start selling the new model until the correct year as opposed to the new model year now starting in September?

Back