Inherited Bianchi ATB

Holmsie71

Retro Newbie
Inherited this bike recently and I know it is fairly old. Friend of the family sold it to my parents many years ago.

Just looking for some further info as I have not been able to track any down elsewhere. I can supply further details from the frame if required.

Any thoughts welcome as I do know that Bianchi don't make mountain bikes any more.

I know nothing about it, but I do like it :cool:

Nowt wrong with a bit of pink (stop sniggering at the back) :D

Just noticed that there is a bit of trash talk in that thread but the last comment is a useful one:

Well, I just picked up the same bike e.g. the same frame with the same Exage 300LX groupset with Biopace, but that one is branded Bianchi (model Pholcus ). Bianchi took over Puch in 1987.

So your bike is a Puch but was produced after the Bianchi take over. Its not a high end bike but is a vey individual bike.

Was not you that Inherited my 1992 Bianchi Thomisus was you?

I know it was not, I gave mine to a Son of a Cousin :(

But due to no space on that time....

This is a very special Bike and yours is in original condition, I loved mine, I even done some Downhill races on thoes days with this due to lack of €xp€nsiv€ and good Bike :) but was really confortable Frame to ride.

That frame is made in a way to bend thoes chainstays but a quite heavy in overhaul, not shure not about the kind of material was made.
The rear braking is amazing and one of my bests ever riden on Retro Bikes beside Maguras(cant be compared due to the system).
I loved the Biopace also ;)
The most dificult and a reason for given away the Bike was because I could not get a good 1" suspension Fork(didnt knew about RetroBike then!! :( )

In Portugal the name of the Bike painted on the Frame and known was Thomisus, so not sure what do you have under the Stickers or on the Frame but mine was Thomisus ;)

Nuno,

I have attached some close up pics of the bike. My parents bought the bike off the son of a family friend about 20 years ago and it sat in the garage until last year when they gave it to me.

I am not a professional by any means and I just see it as a nice good retro bike to get around on. Thats all that matters to me. The only thing I have had to do is put a new chain on it. Can't say fairer than that after 20 years not being used.

Is it definately a man's bike?

Attachments

• Thomisus.JPG
    Thomisus.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 8,408
I've only just seen this thread, but I've researched the Bianchi Ragno range a little recently, so can give you a bit more info.

Yes, they are mens' bikes!

These were the models in the range:
Meta - Shimano SIS
Thomisus - Shimano 200GS
Pholcus - Suntour XCM
Theridion - Oria Cro-mo tubing - Shimano Deore LX
Migale - Suntour XC (comp/Pro mix?)
Araneus - Columbus tubing - Shimano Deore XT

They're not light, as you might guess. I've seen a measurement of 3.3KG for a Theridion frame. Still, I love the geometry and am hoping to buy a bike from the range soon.

I think they were made '89 to about '94.

I'm pretty sure, given the colour scheme, that yours is the 1992 Thomisus.

I hope that helps.

[edit] I was going to add more info here, but I'll create a page on the Wiki instead.

Back