Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:42 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:36 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

That's lovely - really nice to see something that's lasted you so long.

Post subject: Re: Stumpy
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:09 pm 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike

agentorange wrote:
Forgive me for saying this but your Stumpy looks older than 88. I'd say 86, the seat stays are too straight for an 88.

I agree that it looks older - the latest build is deliberately anachronistic with many parts from the mid 80's (as well as a sprinkling of newer stuff). However the frame is definately from 88.

This what it looked like when I got it (Although with XT throughout: the catalogue shows the optional browning chainset).

I've been contemplating a back to catalogue build, but can't bring myself to do it. It was always a fine riding bike, but pretty soon after getting hold of it, I started to find ways to lighten it.

It's now well below the 24lb mark and really sings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:25 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader / Rider

Man! That's COOL! 8)

Perfect build!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:09 pm 
Dirt Disciple

agentorange wrote:
Forgive me for saying this but your Stumpy looks older than 88. I'd say 86, the seat stays are too straight for an 88.

It is older. 1985 and 1986 had lugged frames, different geometry and new, non-biplane fork. After that they were welded. 1986 was the first year for U-brakes. I'll bet if he checked the S/N it would have 86 in it somewhere. Still, it is a very nice bike. Far nicer than anything I own. Nice job.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:03 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

cs1 wrote:
agentorange wrote:

It is older. 1985 and 1986 had lugged frames, different geometry and new, non-biplane fork. After that they were welded. 1986 was the first year for U-brakes. I'll bet if he checked the S/N it would have 86 in it somewhere. Still, it is a very nice bike. Far nicer than anything I own. Nice job.

Kind of what i was looking at but the above catalogue scan looks later. Team Stumpys were specced with XT from 85 onwards and with the U-brake from 87, prior to this it was fitted with Rollercam U-brake. Check my below link for the 88 version which has butted seat stays.

Here's an 86

Here's an 87

My guess is that you're frame is an 86

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:55 pm 
Dirt Disciple

agentorange wrote:
cs1 wrote:
agentorange wrote:

Kind of what i was looking at but the above catalogue scan looks later. Team Stumpys were specced with XT from 85 onwards and with the U-brake from 87, prior to this it was fitted with Rollercam U-brake. Check my below link for the 88 version which has butted seat stays.

Here's an 86

Here's an 87

My guess is that you're frame is an 86

You're top bike looks just like an 1986 Stumpjumper Sport I have sitting in the garage. Well, not exactly. Mine is a lot more beat up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:28 pm 
Feature Bike
Feature Bike

Ooh controversy. Okay let's try and clear this up.

First off, I know that quoting catalogues and magazines isn't always gospel: manufacturers under commercial pressure may have pictured and promoted bikes that were different to those bought on the street. But I think the secret is to focus on the big differences and then use the details to help.

Second, we're talking Team Stumpjumpers here. The top of the range ones that were made out of Tange Prestige steel. Prestige is light, thin, sweet riding and magnificently pingy; especially when built into large 1980s frames. Here is some ping, Vasili.

The Stumpjumper 25 Years book has Teams coming out in 1984, which may or my not be true. However, by 1985 they were definitely available.

They were pink; they had a unicrown fork with short sleeves; the frames were lugged. They had shallow road style cable guides. They were fitted with Suntour Roller Cam brakes under the chainstay.

Here's the 1985 Mombat one

Some pics of it:

For 1986 not much difference. Pink lugged Prestige. Note the shallow roadie style cable guides.

Here's a 1986 Bicycle Guide review for the 86 model (again thanks to Mombat)

Exerpt from the review:

For 1987 they were built by Dave Tesch in the US. Blue and White. If you have one - I will buy it.

The 1987 catalogue is here

Magazine review here (Scroll down a bit.)

You have to zoom in on the catalogue, but if my eyes don't deceive, lugs, and narrow cable guides. Also note that the 1987 Stumpjumper Comp was lugged (not Prestige though).

Through to 1988. Made in Japan; grey and white. Lugged Prestige; welded unicrown fork with no lugettes; 'normal' deep slotted cable guides. Serial numbers begin with 8F.

Huge sacn here

By 1989, the Team Stumpjumper is welded (no lugs); it has a seat stay canti, and 'double taper' seat tays. Still offered in grey and white, still built with Prestige tubes. Not sure whether these were built in Japan or Taiwan.

Catalogue images here

Mine is lugged, built from Prestige tubing, has a welded unicrown fork with no sleeves, and deep slotted cable guides. It was advertised as a 1988 in the classifieds of a 1989 edition of MBUK. The vendor claimed it was a UK press bike. I bought it and it was grey and white with XT throughout.

All the parts on it apart from the bb cable guide have been replaced.

p.s. some XT M730 cantis to the first person to get the Vasili reference.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:38 am 
Dirt Disciple

Excellent detective work Doctor-Bond. I had no idea Team bikes were still lugged while production were not. If they were done on a custom basis that does make sense. Thanks for the information. I stand corrected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:10 pm 
Dirt Disciple

I remember riding one of these when I was about 19 in the lakes, painful memories!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:01 am 
Dirt Disciple

This is why I originally thought it was an 86. This is my 1986 with lugs and a U-brake. I didn't notice the OP didn't have the same fork.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next