Cannondale SM600 circa 1990 advice please

samsbike

Retro Guru
I have owned the above bike from new and its still on all the original bits.

I have no idea of what to do with it - I suspect it can use the usual suspects - tyres, seat and grips.

However I would like to change the stem and bars for something less - what should I be look for in terms of sizes etc. By something else I need raiser bars and a higher stem.

I am guessing the rest of the bike is fine.

Sorry for being such a luddite.

thanks

sam

did some research

Its number is 51805915660

which makes it 18inches, that bit I knew and a May 91 build.

so what should I do next?

If it were mine:

Get a nicer stem. Buy to alter what you like or dislike on it currently. Ie less rise if you want etc. That original looks plain and a nice syncros or similar would look ace.

Get bars to suit what you get above. I'd go for nice flat bars but if you want a more chuckable bike, or just to transform the ride, a nice pair of risers is always good.

And get a nicer seat. Flites are aesthetically great. Looks like a sofa on it at the mo.

Frame and parts look good.

Good luck with it.

hi

thanks for that.

I have no idea what size or what exactly to buy other than the seat.

The stem and the headset seems all one piece

thanks

sam

Re: hi

samsbike":3izdzof2 said:
thanks for that.

I have no idea what size or what exactly to buy other than the seat.

Because I like bling and colours - I am thinking of the girvin stuff and some tapered bars.

thanks

sam

I think (but check elsewhere by those more knowledgeable) that the stem is 1 inch.

Bars will be old size 25.4 - modern are 31.8

I have to ask, the saddle seems to be at a very low position in the frame and the handlebar stem seems very high is this your normal riding position :?:

riding position

Nope, I fitted a much longer seat stem years ago.

Doing some research it looks like I need a quill stem and 25.4 bars.

If I can pick something up in the forum to use instead I may just sell this, as it looks like going way beyond my skill range

sam

Yes,
1991 and the first year, they wrote "Cannondale" on the diagonal tube.
Very beautifull paintjob : Black and blue pearl :cool:

First, have a look on the catalog

and keep it all original (you are lucky, the bike seems to be near original).

Secondly, clean it and remove the junk parts like the plastic handle lock on the stay and on the seat tube, and the light on the seat QR.

And, ride it and enjoy it. You don't need to spend money in more expensive parts in first time, in my opinion.

I forgot :
How tall are you ? Put the saddle and the bar in good position.

Latest posts

Back