Cadex PS-S1: Giant's first full carbon

Wytze

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I would like to know what's the general opinion concerning CADEX (the top range of Giant)
Were they sold in the UK? here in holland you still see them riding now and then. There are
versions with both rear paths bolted on, they are the perfect frame to convert to a Singlespeeder.

I own now for some years this CADEX PS-S1 the first full carbon production MTB from giant, you

could say the daddy of all MCM's!
Through the years I build it up as a competition bike with full XTR, RS Mag SL titanium and syncros.
weighs only 10.8kg (with these wheels and tires). The Tioga came with the bike and has a service
number so I guess it was a competition wheel. I really like the paintjob with the carbon layers vagely
showing through here and there.

So is it a classic? or should the components be ashamed of the frame they are hanging on to?

Some Pics:

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

And if you don't like it ;)
main.php

:D :D

I used to race with a guy that had one of these. Ideal for BITD Thetford Forest racing as it was sooooo stiff, ideal for the singletrack ;)

like it :D all my favorite toys in one box!!

Shame all the old mag 21 ti sl are losing their shine now though :(

Hi Wytze,

I have had a Cadex too. It was a 1994 CFM-3. For that year it had an aluminium rear. That rear offered quite a lot comfort.

The purple 1993 CFM-3 had LX level componentry, but some less visible parts were of more questionable quality. I think that is the Giant key to success.

I remember your bike from the catalogue, when I bought mine. Also very well remember enjoying a review of one in FIETS.

I perceive the Cadex frames as good. Detailing on the regular ones like my CFM-3 isn't really a delight for the eye, but they sure are proper frames.

I like carbon my last bike BITD was a carbon frame only issue is i didnt know what make it was as it was sold to me as a prototype lovely bike, worst thing i ever did was sell it regretted it ever since and i never had the sence to ever picture it. done google searchs for years looking at carbon frames never seen anything that looked like it though

speedplay":c8sibdbz said:
like it :D all my favorite toys in one box!!

Shame all the old mag 21 ti sl are losing their shine now though :(

The 21's still work fine, and I must say it is on places still shiny but it doesn't show on the photo.
It has that nice chemicalreaction thing going on underneath the transparent layer :D

As for the parts, yes it's finished, nothing to search for anymore, takes away a bit of the fun.
so..... anyone want this bike? than I can start all over ;)

... and this is my 890i from 1990. Weight is 10,3kg with steel forks and DX/Sugino/Sakae Parts :D

Attachments

• giant2_th.jpg
    giant2_th.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 5,470
hmm

does anyone know what the frame weights?

do u think it would be possible to trying to add an A2DZ discbrake converter? will it take an 80mm fork? anyone tried that?

Latest posts

Back