KONA EXPLOSIF REYNOLDS 853 - TO RE-PAINT OR RE-TOUCH - HELP!

fully re-paint in BAD BLUE with new reproduction decals

• leave as is, but touch in all the chips and bad bits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • fully respray in custom colour (NO, NOT WHITE!!!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shaun

Retrobike Rider
As a newbie virgin Retro Biker, this is my first post on this site. I have followed the site for a while now, and from the advice decided on a KONA EXPLOSIF 853 REYNOLDS 18 inch to fully re-store and rebuild.

I would welcome any comments and advise on what to do with this frame. It been well used and has many scrapes and chips especially the rear stays. Luckily its dent free and straight. I have weighed it and its just under 4.5lbs, not bad for a steel frame.

To re-spray with new decals in standard colours at Bob Jacksons, to re-spray in a custom colour or just to carefully re-touch up the bad bits - I just cannot decide!

Attachments

• explosif.JPG
    explosif.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 2,191
leave it as it is, just touch up the bad bits and gave the frame a good clean.
put on some nice parts with the money you saved when not having it repainted ;)

853 Explosif`s, Lovely :) ive got 3 in pieces at the moment.

did you see the argos restored frame on ebay the other day?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWNX:IT

Ive got another 18" similar to yours that im considering having painted and a 16" that has been powder coated :)

great frames

i really want a 17" then i can get rid of the others

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yes, I saw the restored Explosif on Ebay and then wondered why the owner had gone to all that trouble and expense to re-sell it on. I was 100% going to repaint mine until I saw that one for sale and then it got me thinking if the repaint had put the previous owner off as he felt that the bike had 'lost something'. What do you think?

Keep it real and ride it hard, that's what these 853 konas are all about. I've had frames restored and I think they do lose a certain 'something'

Looks great by the way
:cool:

Well, im the new owner :)

and it is clean but the colour is slightly off from any other explosif ive seen before.

Im contemplating building it up this week with RC31`s XTR M952 Running Gear and Thomson Finishing Kit

I wouldnt have gone to the trouble or cost of restoring, i never liked the original 853`s paintwork anyway :)

Nice bike, I think it was a good price for a fully restored one. At least it saves you the trouble of having to decide what to do with it. To be honest, these frames are so rare now, especially in 18inch you just have to 'buy when you see one straight away'! :twisted:

I intend to re-build mine with Bomber Atom Z2 80's as it had when new in metallic blue colour, lots of polished alloy ie polished thomson stem, polished XT chainset, polished King headset, post etc, in contrast with the dark grey XTR rear mech, v-brakes, shifters, and hubs.

Back