Bridgestone MB1 score! Updated Pics 05-29-12

BensterSD

Dirt Disciple
Hello all!

So back in 1986 my father gave me 2 options. He offered to either upgrade my BMX or buy a new mtn bike. As any 11 year old "kid" would say (especially when mtn bikes hardly existed) I asked to upgrade the BMX. So just like any savvy eccentric father would do, he bought me a mtn bike instead... Well, my first MTB was a 1986 Bridgestone MB3. That trusty steed was used and abused all over the SF Area East Bay mtns where I was raised. It was definitely ridden hard and put away wet for many years. It was eventually stored in my fathers garage and unfortunately it was ripped off by crooks. Its now been long gone for over 15+ years. In the meantime, I had moved on to newer latest greatest bikes. Perhaps out of an interest in reliving those childhood memories, I have always kept an eye out for a decent Bridgestone MB1. Why settle for another MB3? I've seen MB1 bikes for sale but really haven't been willing to pony up the bucks being asked on Ebay or Craigslist. Well, finally there it was on Craigslist... My daily ritual of lurking on San Diego Craigslist bikes ads and BAMMM, it slapped me in the face! The ad read as follows:
Bridgestone mountain bike, needs new front tire, $70.00 cash.
There was a blurry picture provided and the bike appeared to have the resemblance of the MB1 I have lusted over for years... and in my size even! So I call and arrange to see it immediately. When I arrive its clear that this the bike is exactly what I had hoped it would be. Holy s*#t, there it is! In all its glory and 100% original with the exception of the seat, tires and grips... Full XT 730 throughout (hubs, headset, pedals, brakes, shifters and derailleurs). The older gentleman then says he's the original owner and occasionally he rides on pavement but for the most part it sits in his garage taking up space. It has the usual patina from being moved around throughout the years. Personally, who cares, to me this just adds character. While chatting, he even mentioned that he was going to take it to Goodwill as a donation but had a last minute inclination to place a quick ad just to see what happens... :shock: Needless to say, drooling everywhere, I happily gave him the $70 and took it right off his hands!!!
My plan? This MB1 will be cleaned up and preserved. She'll serve light duty as an occasional family cruiser. I'll acquire a black Turbo seat and the black Oury grips have already been purchased. Hope you like! I know I do!

Attachments

• MB 1 2nd Pic.jpg
    MB 1 2nd Pic.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 5,866
  • MB 1.jpg
    MB 1.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 5,867
Nice story it is always good to be re-united with a good friend :D

The Bridgestone doesn't look too shabby for $70 either (Just promise to bury that saddle deep when you get shot of it :LOL: )

Great story.... even greater bike !! :cool:

I used to own a MB1 also. Mine was a 1989 model. What's yours ? Looks like a 1990.. Great bikes with the subtle steeper head angle.

You waked me up a bit... now I have to look for one of those myself.. :LOL:

Some better pics of the 1988 Bridgestone MB1

She's now cleaned up a little bit. Also, replaced the "cushy" seat with a Turbo and rotted tires with NOS sidewalls. :cool: The original wheels are off for now while they get a decent cleaning. 23+ years of grime!

Looking forward to riding her for the first time this weekend!

Benster

Attachments

• MB 1 Closeup.jpg
    MB 1 Closeup.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 5,627
  • MB 1 Seat and Tires.jpg
    MB 1 Seat and Tires.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 5,627
  • Bridgestone MB1 back.jpg
    Bridgestone MB1 back.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 5,627
FYI Testers 1788 is a good match for that grey if you are looking to touch up your scratches.

WOW! Thanks for the tip!! Although, I am somewhat reluctant as I fear I would not know when to stop!

Any ideas for the crank arms? Probably replacement...

:)

Back