1990 Kona Cinder Cone

quirko

Dirt Disciple
Found my old Kona Cincder Cone in the shed after many years of neglect. Decided to try and get it back to how it was when I bought it back in 1990.

Stripped all the old kit off and rubbed down the frame of all surface rust.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 3,051
Thanks for the links. This is where I'm at:

Stripped frame of old added decals and rust. Re-painted with red/blue splat.

Decals ordered (thanks to the cycle shed)
Rare as hens teeth "original" Suntour XCD complete group

I'm well on course to get my old bike looking like new, cant wait. With 90% original parts!

Attachments

• '90 Cinder Cone.JPG
    '90 Cinder Cone.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 3,989
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 3,988
Cool,

I've just this minute finished mine, pics & specs later.

6059506750_bbcc2bd97c_b.jpg

Ooooh, that's lovely - fantastic job! I reckon yours is gonna look pretty damn good too quirko if that pile of new parts is anything to go by :cool: . I briefly owned a Fire Mountain of the same vintage (the blue and white splatter one) - was a lovely, lovely bike but at 17" sadly just too big for me.

Looks great - nice work on the splat paint job too.

Where did you find that XCD Group set? Well done on getting hold of that - took me ages to collect half decent bits for my Nigel Dean.

Look forward to seeing it finished.

(Crantinope - yours looks great - get some more pics up when you can!)

I just got one of these - mine is going to be a DX build :D

Thank you nevadasmith and mamadirt It’s coming on well. Just ordered a Tange MTB frame decal (yellow) as was; that’s the frame done. Just waiting on the group set. I would like to keep the bike as original as possible. I couldn't believe it when I found the original NOS XCD set on eBay. Cost me a few bob, but worth it.

Crantinope: Very Nice, I would be a very happy man if I got mine like that. More pics to come!

Attachments

• tange.jpg
    tange.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 3,769
Decals on!

!!!WANTED!!!

NOS or used VGC 26" 36 hole Araya RM 20's or

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 3,585
I'd go for rm17s or the ukai rims that were OE :) rm20s might be a bit wide for this - silver too.

Latest posts

Back