lewis1641

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hi this is the frame offered as karma from Sidewinder - thanks dave. The frame could definately use refinishing but i decided to build it first to make sure I like it. If I do I will either repolish (doubtfull) or powder coat red, because that is what colour they are supposet to be. I think there was a law passed in 1993 or something...

With the frame being karma i could justify paying the price for the cross link fork. For a while now i have wanted a newer proflex with a girvin and proper shocks to compare to my 92 with an elastomer and flex stem.

Cash is very tight at the minute so the build is litterally left overs and sweepings off the shed floor (again!)

frame 19" 1995 with a repaired swing arm
fork girvin cross link expert
shocks noleen
headset, half ritchey, half unknown
club roost bar (karma from sidewinder) and grips, kona stem
tioga post and selle italia expedia saddle
stx r.h shifter and v brakes (thanks ringo)
cheap shimano l.h. thumb shifter
avid sd 1.9 levers
lx front/stx rear mechs
coda chainset
un71 bb
cheapo pedals, will swap for spd's for proper riding
wheels are what came on the older proflex, cheapish shinano hubs and alexa rims. wtb velociraptor tyres front and rear.
cheapo chain

sadly this is a far cry from what would have been an amazing factory build spec

Just been out for a spin for a few miles and it felt great. Climbs very well and you only notice the suspension working when you actually look at it. in my book that is a good thing.

look forward to having a proper ride next time.

2itncz9.jpg

Thanks once again to sidewinder for the karma, andy b for the frantic dibbing and the awesome building skills and ringo for the karma bits.

Very nice, I really want a pro flex frame like that. I have only seen those girvin forks in the flesh once, and was surprised how much they move horizontally. Is that a known problem or are your forks good?

Nothing like a budget/spares build. I think they are great. Easy to add bits once you have a moving bike that works.

Dave

That is a belting build... and no problem with the Karma offerings! It's great to see them used so well!

Coomber is right, get the thing rolling and add to it later... By the way Mr C, I've the basis of a reasonably tidy 856 for not that much cash...

My other Proflex is sans headset at the moment - Some bozo (not the guy I bought it off apparently) fitted an 11/8ths King to a 1 inch Girvin steerer. result is one egg shaped King that is worth it's weight in scrap!

Soon as I get one sorted we'll have to meet up for a ride over your way!

Again Dave - Kudos!

I recognise that frame, was a really nice ride :D
I couldn't be bothered to polish it, should have really :roll: :D
But 855 and 856 were red, weren't all the 955 polished?
*waits quietly to be corrected*
Has huge potential for a really really nice, very lightweight, competent full sus bike :D

Thanks guys. Interested to know if you are correct g.g. as that will be a decider for me.

I don't have any plans to return to catalogue spec at the minute. It was built to be a good but cheap full sus. If I fall in love with it then I might give it a go. Would quite like the maguras though, don't like to see v brakes on a bike of this age.

Oh, and I think I've sussed why Proflex chose to put that piece of fabrication into the bend on the seat tube.

It looks for all the world to feed the rear brake cable through but I have come round to thinking it is to strengthen the seat tube at it's weakest point (the bent bit!)

jonnyboy666 has a show pic from way back when.
If i couldn't have afforded that this is how she would have ended up ;)
It in my PC somewhere, i'll post it up if i can find it ;)

If you mean the hole through the seat tube, just above the swing arm, that's a canti route?

I think the canti route is a by product. It's a lot of work to put into the frame just for that... I think strengthening is definitly a factor...

Back