96 Zaskar rebuild with a twist. (Update)

ringo

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Got a 96 Zaskar frame of eBay last year (one of those mythical is a Zaskar or not...). Anyway despite being outed on here, I got it for £60 posted.

It arrived in a pretty poor state needing a good polish and some new decals.

Basically over the last few months, I've been polishing it sporadically and last week took the plunge and ordered some decals from Gil...

Now, I appreciate mine is a later Zaskar but I really like the look of the earlier bikes, so decided to sticker it as an earlier model.

P1010805.jpg

P1010806.jpg

P1010804.jpg

I'm well happy with the result (Gil is a genius), the decals may not be in the exact place the factory intended - but geometrically they work for me!

Now the plan was to turn this bike into a singlespeed flyer, I had all the kit from a Proflex I bought, to do it and was going to keep it nice and simple, with Pace RC30's up front and XTR V's and if i could stretch to it a Flite carbon saddle.

Then last night fate intervened...

There I was making good headway on my second Stella, nailed to the computer (as usual) messing about on eBay. One search I occasionally do is to just look at everything in "Bike Parts". Well last night my luck was in -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....305706&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

At the time I stumbled on this, there was 50 minutes to go and bidding was up to £70.

Now I've always wanted to build a bike with this group, so I fired in a bid and went for a bath...

Anyway fate was on my side and I came down to find I'd got it for around £100! well happy.

So, the singlespeed idea has gone out of the window... and now all of that group is going to get draped on the Zaskar.

The result should be quite bling...

I'll post updates as I go along... Initial thoughts say RC36 Evo's up front (the ones with the gold stanchions), black seatpost & bars and black rims...

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Oh, and forgot to say... If anyone has a one bolt GT mech hanger they don't need and Gold LX hubs... PM me!

Great find for a very good price! It revived very well after polishing!
Looking forward to seeing the build-up.
I did a similar project which you can see here:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... skar++1995

I rode it once since April, in the meanwhile I collected a bunch of parts which are going to be installed in I think 2/3 weeks.
Actually it's an almost complete re-build again.
Good luck and have fun with the build!

I am going to wait to see the finished result.

But all I can think of at the moment is "If J.P.S. made a Zaskar :LOL: " ;)

Will have to get me self a yellow lid!

Now if we're talking Period Correct here surely that would be a
red & blue Fittipaldi, a blue Ronnie Peterson or a silver & red Andretti lid.
Never mind that POS Renualt from the 80s that only looked good cos
Senna was driving it.

andretti-lotus-78.jpg

Madjez

I see you point, your more in the Flat Cap Colin Chapman era...

Do you see what I did there...?

ringo":2vvp2q66 said:
your more in the Flat Cap Colin Chapman era...

Do you see what I did there...?

Badum tsch.....

yeah the aluminium era before it all went to that nasty carbon fibre ... !!!

Can't believe it, thought I'd done a really classy job with the decaling... Just noticed the one on the Headtube. How did I manage that - the middle would have been good! :D

Hope I 've got a spare! :?

Back