Salsa Al La Carte - Jelly Bean - update 14/04/2013

Coleman

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Jelly Bean Salsa Al La Carte - the bike I wanted more than anything BITD.

I read about this bike in the magazines, (I still have a couple of mags), articles like ‘trad tech fights back – does steel still cut it’ and another about the 1992 MBUK Team Riders, JMC and Sophie Brookes.

This build is based on the bikes featured in the 1992 MBUK Team article. Where I’ve been able to identify parts I’ve used them, where I haven’t I’ve used something that feels right.

All my bikes are riders so I’ve also taken some liberties in the build spec in the interest of reliability and serviceability of some parts. To that end I’ve gone for NOS Mag 21s instead of Mag 20s (don’t fancy crown failure!), larger body Nuke Proof hubs but they still have a thick weave carbon, SRT 600s as I had them and needed 8 speed cause of the freehub and by all accounts they are pretty much the same as the srt500s.

If anyone has any inside knowledge on what the actual spec was, I’d love to know :D I’ve highlighted in green the bits I think I’ve identified right on the spec list :D

The frame itself is in really good nick, no rust, the original jelly bean flashes are mostly intact and vivid but it has a ‘patina’, and so apart from the forks, tyres and chain nothing is ‘NOS’, I figured this suits it well and it all feels right.

The only technical heart attack I almost had was when I found that a previous owner had pressed in the lower head race at a odd angle :shock:

Thanks to jez-for-bikes, mfh126, manitou916, WDPro and others on here for helping this build happen :D

Can’t wait to give it some stick at Leckhampton on the 7th :D

Pics and spec below, I hope you like it, I know that things related to JMC can quite rightly be emotive and while this wasn't planned to be a exact replica of his bike - someone else on here is doing that with a original frame :cool:, I have spent some time thinking about the build and finding/collecting decent parts so hope that I've not made a pigs ear of it!

As always comments, opinions and suggestions all welcomed :D

Frame: 1991(ish) Salsa Al La Carte

Fork: Rockshox Mag 21 (should be mag20)

Headset: Dura Ace 7400
Stem: Salsa
Handlebar: Salsa
Grips: Gripshift
Barends: Onza

Brakes: Grafton
Cantilever cable hangers: Onza Chill Pills
Brake Levers: Dia Compe SS7

Shifters: Gripshift SRT600 (should be SRT500)
Front Derailleur: XT m735
Rear Derailleur: Dura Ace
Cassette: XTR m900
Chain: HG91
Cranks: Top Line
Chainrings: Shimano SG (would love some egg rings)
Bottom Bracket: No Name (Cartridge Type)
Pedals: m737

Hub Skewers: Salsa (Rasta :cool:)
Rims: Bontranger BCX1/2
Hubs: Nuke Proof(should be the earlier smaller body ones with the yellow/black logo)
Tyres: Ritchey Megabites (NOS)

Saddle: Flight Ti
Seatpost: USE Ti
Seatpost Binder: Salsa

Weight: ??

dsc0570r.jpg

dsc0571la.jpg

dsc0583f.jpg

dsc0581av.jpg

dsc0577s.jpg

dsc0574o.jpg

dsc0576v.jpg

dsc0579kf.jpg

dsc0573t.jpg

dsc0580r.jpg

dsc0582n.jpg

Thanks for all the comments chaps :D

Its been one of those bikes that just felt right from the time I put the wheels on, I was grinning like a cheshire cat as I was cabling it up and bolting the last few bits on and it became apparent that as a sum of its parts it just 'worked' :D

Great job,

Just one of the bikes I lusted after as well, along with the Fat Chance Wicked...that's what I love about Retrobike, I can live vicariously through it :)

Thanks for sharing mate

Rich

Latest posts

Back