Klein Adroit - Build Period or Transcend Time?

K U R T

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Greetings All,

I'm a new member of this forum, but have checked in here periodically over the past few years. Retrobike is a fantastic resource and a reminder of how the internet enriches lives ... allows like minds to join from every corner of the globe! Gotta love it.

I've been an enthusiast of fine bikes my whole life, and especially appreciate the fine hardware on this site.

Below is a pic of the Adroit I want to build into something special. I'd value opinions of contributors here. First, some history:

I purchased a near twin of this machine new in college...and traded it (remorsefully) for a Mantra Pro ~ 10 years ago. The Adroit was so fine with Paul's brakes, Gen 1 Crossmaxes, Syncros Revolution cranks, Syncros Ti 31.6 post, etc, etc...don't get me talking about it.

Now I have this Adroit, which I've owned for ~2 yrs. It's begging for a makeover.

I'm a bit torn re direction to take with this machine. First impulse is to source period exotic parts in great shape, as many on this site have done. But lately I've realized these Kleins were SO FAR ahead of their time. Indeed they outclass rigid bikes of the modern era in numerous ways. -A topic for a separate thread!

Because I appreciate these Kleins in a modern (even fine art) light, I find it somehow appropriate to consider modern craft components as candidates for the build.

Remember we have the square taper BB here, so crank options are limited. Also there is no noodle with this MC2 stem, so canti brakes are out.

I'm talking about Tune cranks...in perhaps a 2 x 9 drive? What other drive parts would go? Seem to be plenty of exotic brake systems are out there. And who is that German Klein tuner? Would it be silly to consider Crossmax SLR wheels? I've been out of the field for some time, and would love opinions.

Blasphemy to put modern parts on a 15 year old beauty? The bike could perform better - and be lighter! - with some of the latest and greatest.

Thanks in advance for your opinions,

Kurt

main.php

Welcome.

I have a similar dilemma.

M900 Build,Trick build or Carbon/Modern build...

A Klein deserves all of them but the decision depends partly on what the intended use is for the bike.
Be it daily use or more a 'fair weather' approach.

How modern can we go with square taper? Ive seen the BB being threaded before to take a more modern setup.

J

Hi Kurt, welcome to retrobike......build it the way you want it and then ride it!.......don't get rid of any parts though, and keep future options open......nice frame!.... :D

Thanks guys.

The bike will be ridden...but only on fairest days!

The BB could be changed to a custom Phil Wood to allow splines, but we'd be losing the Klein-ness by doing that. Gary's aircraft grade bearing's in there for chrissake! So I wanna keep the square taper.

Let's look at it this way: If Klein were to produce this same bike today, what would be it's ideal spec? I'm wondering what hubs, switchgear, brakes, etc would be most appropriate. This is why I'm looking to Tune. They seem to be of the same spirit as the Adroit...

Hi Kurt,

Very nice bike and with that cool strata.
I would go for 1996 parts and built it period correct.
I do not think modern parts are lighter than the current parts, except from carbon.
Tune for example is very light, even their 1996 models. Tune hubs and seatpost are still some of the the lightest made and did not change that much from 1996 till now.
Tune rear hub 1996: 225 gram, front hub 75 gram!
Tune seatposts were around 200 gram in 1996.
Cranks: what about Cook E? around 400 grams. Tune of course, 390 grams.
Brakes: Paul crosstop = 130 grams (without shoes). Other v-vrakes more difficult to find lighter, maybe proshift?
Of course a Flite saddle 200 grams.

All parts mentioned are from 1996 and the weight are taken out of "bike workshop" from 1996.

About ride quality: I think with shimano M739 rear mech and gripshift x-ray you have a light and smooth transmission.

Than again, Maybe it not such a bad idea, thinking indeed that Klein was at their time very modern, to build it with more modern parts.

Very interested in any updates on your thoughts and of course your built decision.

More photo's please ;)

Gosh.. That's one of my all time favourite paint scheme. I personally love the paint job for it's subtle yet classy look.

I've recently bought a MC2 Adroit Night Storm and at the mids of restoring the bike as well. I'm also stuck in the same dilemma whether or not to pimp it up, keep it simple or to modernise the bike.

I guess if you're here on Retrobike, there's no point going modern! Perhaps, keeping the bike simple with 950 or 960s might be the best of options if you're on a tight budget. Or just slap in on with Kooka, Ringle and etc.

Good luck man!

Welcome Kurt! My 2 cents:

- Don't change the BB. In my opinion, it sharply decreases the value and turns it into a 'Trek' Klein! Yuck.

- I would restore it with the parts you had on your old bike, or something close to it. Modern parts on a retro bike look cheesy. Retro parts look better. IMO

- By '96, V-brakes were the standard, so don't worry about the lack of a noodle. Avid Arch Supreme V-brakes have always been a favorite of mine. Hershey, Paul Moto Lite (they still have the retro quality), etc... XTR period corect parts look great as well.

- This doesn't need to be all at once. Be patient. Check this site and eBay often.

Kurt,

IMO it all depends on personal preference.

As advanced as it may have been, this frame has fairly classical lines. As a result of that, I'd go for modern parts which allow you to retain that classical look somewhat. But that's just my opinion, of course.
Then again if you really want a bike that can put up a good fight with today's bikes, you'll have to choose function over form and go with current high-end components.

KLEIN

Hi Kurt waiting for a respray by Jonrock on my Klein so will have the same hassle when done i think i will try to keep it retro thanks Neil

Back