1990 Raleigh Moonshine

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I'm always looking around for bargains and happened to score this for a very reasonable price...It was originally destined to be a bike for one of the in-laws but to be honest that wasn't going to happen as soon as I laid my hands on it!

For those not familiar It's a really nice handbuilt lugged 531 frame with mostly Deore DX- including pedals - There is already a lovely version owned by a member on here, mine is a little faded in the neon but it rides great and has a little bit of rarity about it. This one is also in a small(ish) size as opposed to the larger 'you'll grow into it son' sizes that many a Dad lumbered his kid with down at the local raleigh dealer back in the day ;)

I'm not sure what do do drivetrain wise as the DX kit is in really good nick (why are these bikes always low mileage?) but I do have some M735 XT bits that may make an appearance and although the STI work well they have to go..thumbies should look pretty cool I reckon. The USE post and flite were added as a bit of an experiment/to make it rideable but I kind of like them so they will stay. In fact I may add a little more purple ano :twisted: And I've a period t-bone stem and replacement pink bars to add. Game on!

Attachments

• 70262452_457.jpg
    70262452_457.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 1,831
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,832
Thats a lovely Raleigh. My mates dad had one and I always wanted it.

Any idea how much it weighs? This was from the lightweight range wasn't it?

Very nice :cool: I am very partial to Raleighs of this era and you are correct with the way they sized them way back when :LOL:

What have you done to the paintwork to restore the fluo ? it looks brilliant :cool:

jamy99":2stn6kbt said:
Thats a lovely Raleigh. My mates dad had one and I always wanted it.

Any idea how much it weighs? This was from the lightweight range wasn't it?

Thanks for the comments guys :cool:

It was indeed from the lightweight range (although not as lightweight as perhaps imagined) ...but it's pretty hard to find any catalogues or info, probably because this range was relatively short lived. I may weigh it out of curiosity's sake but it seems to compare similarly to my wicked...I'm guessing around 27-28 lbs.

As for the paint, well I haven't in fact touched it so far :oops: The drive side generally looks a bit better TBH but I'm hoping a bit of T-cut may help..fingers crossed :)

mynchiboy":2g7yfc93 said:
It was indeed from the lightweight range (although not as lightweight as perhaps imagined)

Yeah, although mine is a 22.5" C-T it ain't no lightweight, and the stock 300mm seatpost I swapped out for the DX one weighed 480 grams :!: :!: :shock: .

Nice to see another though.

Cheers...Nick

Crantinope":2o8rjzi6 said:
mynchiboy":2o8rjzi6 said:
It was indeed from the lightweight range (although not as lightweight as perhaps imagined)

Yeah, although mine is a 22.5" C-T it ain't no lightweight, and the stock 300mm seatpost I swapped out for the DX one weighed 480 grams :!: :!: :shock:

Yes, have to say yours is particularly nice Nick...and those sakae seatposts are indeed made of lead :LOL:

Speaking of which, the one supplied with the bike was only around 200mm long for a 19" frame, which supports the theory that they were meant to be a bit big..

Rod_Saetan":2no3044h said:
Subtle, I like it.

Why thank you sir! To be honest I wasn't sure about the purple ano before, especially following our conversation...but it seems to work pretty well! I've even some other little bits to add..no overkill though I hope ;)

I'm thinking that this may be my 'paper boy circa 1992 saves enough cash to tart up the bike his dad bought him a couple of years back' bike..

thats nice mate
they ride really nice too , take it round your fave old school trails
nice and relaxed , no rush type riding

Back