1997 Speared Kona Hot

SpearedHot

Dirt Disciple
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would share some pics of my Hot since I have yet to see one like it. I bought it from my buddy in 2009 although I have been pestering him to sell it since 2003. He was the original owner and sad to see it go. The paint is a little tattered but the bike cleans up nicely and always brings a smile to my face when I look at it.

I understand it's not completely "retro", but I'm not necessarily trying to bring it back to 1997. I may or may not do that for another bike.

Enjoy!

IMGP2931.jpg

IMGP2930.jpg

IMGP2936.jpg

IMGP2928.jpg

Oh and yes, the bike still sees singletrack time and it rips!

SpearedHot":6nvzm7ex said:
I understand it's not completely "retro", but I'm not necessarily trying to bring it back to 1997. I may or may not do that for another bike.

That's a nice looking Hot and while its not 100% period 1997, its still a very functional build.

I like it a lot. :cool:

nice frame and fork :cool:

I understand not going period for a 1997, but please consider swapping out the crankset/brake levers/shifters/handlebar ;)

GoldenEraMTB":v1ehim9c said:

I understand not going period for a 1997, but please consider swapping out the crankset/brake levers/shifters/handlebar ;)

I'm sure you wouldn't want any of the items mentioned above then if he did change them?? :LOL: ;) :LOL:

Nice bike tho, very nice setup. Looks rather fresh :cool:

That's an excellent example. It was painted by Velographics in Bellingham near you. Are they still there?

In another thread, some owners of 1997 Hots said they had a goat emblem stamped into the dropout, so I wonder if yours has? That and the serial number would tie down where the frame was built.

Minty Sauce":ado54end said:
GoldenEraMTB":ado54end said:

I'm sure you wouldn't want any of the items mentioned above then if he did change them?? :LOL: ;) :LOL:

:LOL:
wait

seriously, he has the basis for a truly awesome Kona build. Keeping the frame/headset/fork/seat post, there's great potential.

GoldenEraMTB":330w41ql said:
Minty Sauce":330w41ql said:
GoldenEraMTB":330w41ql said:

wait

seriously, he has the basis for a truly awesome Kona build. Keeping the frame/headset/fork/seat post, there's great potential.

:D Your right it definitely has BOTM potential with a few tweeks! Looks really modern despite the age, that's probably why the new parts on it don't look out of place :?

Glad I made you laugh :p

Thank you for the kind words and constructive criticisms everyone. I will keep an eye out for more period correct items however I'm in no rush. The cranks are "well used" XT M739s that have been on the bike since new.

To Anthony
As far as I know, Velographics is no longer around. I've included some pics that clearly show the Goat and serial number.

IMGP2950.jpg

IMGP2952.jpg

Latest posts

Back