1988 Wicked Fat Chance

theredchili

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Finally after a three week wait at customs, I collected my 1988 Wicked Fat Chance ( courtesy of Uno-Speedo)

The idea of this project is a fast build, so I can thrash around on it until my Yo is finished, then full resto on the Wicked.

My original intention was to respray this black, but after seeing it in the flesh, the grey is very nice indeed,so may have a rethink of on this.

Ive decided to build this wicked as single speed, the main reason being the rear brake mountings under the chainstay, so in addition to the single speed set up should produce a very clean looking bike to suit the skinny, 80's frame.

Obviously if you have any nice period parts, please get in touch !

Attachments

• Fat 3.jpg
    Fat 3.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 5,475
Initial build with parts I have to hand, time for some cables and brakey things etc! :LOL:

Attachments

• Wk1.jpg
    Wk1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 5,427
First fix and ridable, have a slight problem with chain slipping, not quite sure what the issue is, new chain and chainrings all round

Attachments

• IMG_1435.jpg
    IMG_1435.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 5,356
  • IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 5,356
  • IMG_1427.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 5,356
Looking good, how does she ride and what stem is that, i need a roller stem for my old fat and salsa's are thin on the ground :evil:

Havnt given it a proper ride as I think the chain is too long as i get a clunking noise when I put pressure on the pedals .
Today's job !
The stem is an odyssey pro , it may be going spare once I source a zooka if your interested

Nice frame :cool:
The slipping could be your chain being to long.
Can you get the tensioner to push up instead of down?
That way your chain has double the contact with the rear cog compaired with your current setup.

the slipping is most likely the fact the chain is way to long and is only pulling on about three teeth on the rear sprocket. as mentioned, shorten chain and get the tensioner pushing up rather than down. the other issue could be chaionline. measure the distance between the centre of the seat tube and the chainring, then measure the distance between the centre of the hub and the sprocket. they should be as close to the same as poss.

Back