GT Karakoram K2....At Last some half Decent Photos!!

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
OK so my current steed ain't exactly state of the art, but this is the first time I've intentionally purchased an 'old' bike. :D

I've been after a city hack to blast around on so I can save the E4 for Sunday best. Well I've been watching this for a few days and finally I couldn't resist any longer and just did the buy-it-now thang on fleebay. :LOL:

Anyway, it's a 16" '90ish Karakoram K2 (so it says in the listing). I've always had a bit of a soft spot for GTs and this seemed to be a good basis for a project.

I don't know if I've lumbered me self with a dog or if this is worth the effort.

I'd be interested if anyone knows what year it is and what spec. it would have been originally. I though early Karakorams were that paint splash effect but I'm no expert.

What d'ya reckon and was it a good choice?

Karakoram02.jpg

Karakoram01.jpg

Karakoram03.jpg

Karakoram04.jpg

I remember the firs time I posted something on RB... Jez said to me, "I think its great you all are getting on with these projects."

I'll same the same to you! Looks like a great start! Keep us updated.

I was tempted by that one... and if it was more my size you might have had some competition.
I've always wanted a steel GT with rear ubrake, but ideally in a 21"

The 'K2' was renamed the 'Elite' the year after when the splatter jobs were all the rage, very nice bike would have had deore DX stuff and ritchey rims, pretty much the same as the Elite.

m1kesmith":15hlmlsj said:
I was tempted by that one... and if it was more my size you might have had some competition.
I've always wanted a steel GT with rear ubrake, but ideally in a 21"

I have a Large GT tequesta frame ;)

DSC00129.jpg

thats 1990. i had a huge poster on my wall with all the models on it, a big picture of hans ray & dave wonderly (remember him!) riding the avalanches i think.

from memory it came with shimano's first deore LX groupset with 1st generation STI (with squared-off shift levers) but i may wrong..

ive got a complete orginal richtor in my shed from 1992 :D

the tequesta below was suntour X1???

nice one!

I had a look at that one but tend to stick to alloy myself.

Im glad its gone to a good home though.
Will be waiting for the update pics.

Back