broken San Andreas

fabian

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,
this is my first post in this forum. I've been reading for quite a while since I have sold my Marin Nail Trail to my sister and the bike virus hit me again while adjusting the bike for my sister...

When I was 15 the MC San Andreas was one of the bikes on my wish list but to ever own one was unrealistic. Two weeks ago I've found one on eBay and won the auction. I picked up the bike near the dutch border but unfortunately didn't notice the welding on the swingarm.

On the Mountain cycle page you can order a San Andreas classic swingarm which looks quite different to the one mounted to the frame. This seems to be the only option to get the bike running.

Could anybody identify the manufacturing year of my frame? Or even better knows if this would fit?

Best regards
Fabian

Attachments

• IMGP0809.jpg
    IMGP0809.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,047
  • IMGP0810.jpg
    IMGP0810.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,047
  • IMGP0812.jpg
    IMGP0812.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,047
  • IMGP0815.jpg
    IMGP0815.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,047
Pre 94 by the looks of it as it's got the tubular seat stays and also the front deurailer mount isn't straight as it is on my 94 model.

I'm no expert so I'm sure someone will know some other things to help :).

Welcome btw :).

Hi Alex,
thanks for your reply. The swingarm pretty similar to your 94 San Andreas but I assume that you still need it :LOL:

Can you give me a hint on how to separate the swingarm from the mainframe? When taking of the caps it seems that the pivot bolt is drilled from each side nearly to the middle and pressed into the frame. But I didn't want to bang it out with a hammer unless I'm sure that it is really pressed in.

Best regards
Fabian

hi fabian :cool:

yup yours is pre 94 ;) and the 20mm pivot bolt is just pressed in through plastic bushings .i have seen the new swingarms on the mc site and it looks like an extra shock mount or something ?

whats wrong with your swingarm ? any pictures of the repair/damage ?

welcome to the site by the way ;)

big.eck":3m9cd3v3 said:
hi fabian :cool:

yup yours is pre 94 ;) and the 20mm pivot bolt is just pressed in through plastic bushings .i have seen the new swingarms on the mc site and it looks like an extra shock mount or something ?

whats wrong with your swingarm ? any pictures of the repair/damage ?

welcome to the site by the way ;)
My question too. Do you want to swap-out the swing-arm because it was welded? Is the weld shown in one of your pics? And welcome too :)

1st lot of pictures :roll:

Attachments

• IMGP0817 (1).jpg
    IMGP0817 (1).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 928
  • IMGP0817.jpg
    IMGP0817.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 928
  • IMGP0818.jpg
    IMGP0818.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 928
  • IMGP0820.jpg
    IMGP0820.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 928
I would agree with Alex and big.eck, its 94ish with the second gen swinging arm, only difference from 1st gen is the pivot clamps.
I would ask on the MC site the queston of the newer arm, maybe you will get lucky and find someone who has one.
Good luck and keep us posted on Retro.

i'm not 100% sure but i think a member on here (fmj) has a spare rea swingarm ? he's in canada tho :?

it'll be worth dropping him a pm :cool:

2nd lot...

Yes basically I want the swingarm to be replaced because it's welded. I'm not quite sure if the welding is okay but if I'm not getting any replacement I might try it with the welding.

After taking the pictures I tried to fit the xt wheel of my other project into the frame (1993 Marin Pine F.R.S.). In my opinion it's a little bit too tight. The clearance is 132,8mm but on all bikes I've seen the clearance is a bit bigger that the axle length so you would pull the dropouts towards the axle. Something around 137mm I would think. This surely has something to do with the welding but I assume that it's possible to slightly bend it open.

The swingarm on the MC side needs some kind of shockmount. I've contacted MC to find out if it's possible to somehow fit the 'new' swingarm.

I'd like to poste some links to pics but I need to have five posts before I can do so....

Thanks for your comments ;-)

Attachments

• IMGP0823.jpg
    IMGP0823.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 912
  • IMGP0826.jpg
    IMGP0826.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 912
  • IMGP0827.jpg
    IMGP0827.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 912
  • IMGP0830.jpg