97 Kona Cindercone, completed. Spec and pictures page 2.

Thorpie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Here is a sneek peek of my new retro Kona, a 97 Cindercone. I am just waiting on a period correct P2 fork to replace the Indy S and a race lite bar before I can complete but the frame is in excellent nick. Full build and pictures to follow next week!

Trevor.

Attachments

• IMG_0201 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0201 (Medium).JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 2,481
very nice indeed! did you get this off ebay a couple of months ago? i was watching one with the same spec but it started getting expensive!

if you going period correct then ditch the crankset although i have just fitted an lx version to my marin but i wasnt going that much into it

I'm not entirely fussed about it being totally period correct but agree a nice 97 xt or stx chainset would look good, anyway it came with a Hope ceramic BB fitted, I only have a stainless one on my
Cotic!

It was the one on eBay a couple of months back. I lost out first time but it appeared again a couple of weeks ago after the first sale fell through apparently. Still went fairly high this time but not as much as last.

Trevor.

I'm happy to be corrected but yours with "mountain shock" on the top tube would have come with the Indy forks. http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

I have almost the same frame but mine says "race light" so would have come with P2's although I have fitted suspension forks.

Suppose it's whatever floats your boat, pretty sure both frames are the same anyway. Hope you enjoy it, mine rides great :D .

Sure does have Indy S forks on but I prefer P2s tbh and they look much nicer on retro Kona's. Don't know if the frames are any different (mountain shock/racelite) but there are people on here that will know. If there is any difference head angle wise I am sure this can be sorted with cockpit set up.

well it was worth every penny right? its a well sweet bike :D im currently doing up a 1997 hahannah...can't beat them 97 graphics!

Ah, so here it is!

Parts wrapped last night - posting on Saturday ;)

The blue is in good nick. No idea if you need them but I also have an original pair of the peddles minus straps if needed.

Trust me, this will run way way way better on P2's than the Indy C's. They weight a hell of a lot less and make it super nimble.

Finally gathered all the parts I need for my 97 Cindercone build. Pickied up a lovely PACE RC30 fork off Scarfacexxx08 for something a little different. Going with silver and black, black FSA stem which I already had so not too overkill on the silver and a new silver coloured Ritchey Classic handlebar to give some coordination with the fork. Gone for a black headset and the modern XT chainset is being replaced with the lovely Sugino Mighty 900 pictured. Gripshift and Avid levers are being replaced with mint XT numbers.

Just got to get it all built now!

Trevor.

Attachments

• IMG_0257 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0257 (Medium).JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 2,191
Back