My 87 Johngoose

longfinkillie

Dirt Disciple
Starting the refurbishing of this beast. Anyone else have one of these? Need help with touch-up paint and fork. BTW does anyone know what kind of Vetta saddle it came with?
main.php

Nice. I'm rebuilding one, too. I'm pretty sure it's a Vetta 200. This is a pic of the NOS Vetta 200 saddle I recently found, which matches the one shown in the ad.

Attachments

• Vetta 1.jpg
    Vetta 1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,005
  • Tomac_Mongoose_Signature_ad LARGE.jpg
    Tomac_Mongoose_Signature_ad LARGE.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,005
That is a thing of beauty.

Is it something you have had and are restoring or a new purchase? Wonder if you have any history with it?

coomber said:
That is a thing of beauty.

Thanks! :D

Is it something you have had and are restoring or a new purchase? Wonder if you have any history with it?

My only history is wanting one since I saw pics of Johnny T racing it in MBA Magazine. This one showed up in a Craigslist ad, and I practically begged the guy to sell it to me. Besides a small dent in the chainstay and paint scratches its no worse for wear. :D

My first question to the retrogurus: How do you match the paint? What kind do you recommend? Should I clear-coat it afterwards to preserve the decals? Any info would be great!

@mfh126: Thanks for the info on the saddle, I'm on it! BTW are you running Farmer Johns on your rebuild?

longfinkillie":3e6bxlei said:
My first question to the retrogurus: How do you match the paint? What kind do you recommend? Should I clear-coat it afterwards to preserve the decals? Any info would be great!

@mfh126: Thanks for the info on the saddle, I'm on it! BTW are you running Farmer Johns on your rebuild?

I would take the frame with you to an automotive store and try and match the touch up paint to it. Personally, I wouldn't worry about clear-coating over the decals, but I think that's up to personal preference. Are you gettting new decals made?

Yes, I'm running NOS Farmer John's Cousins. If you're looking for a pair, I know a place in CA selling them.

The decals (except for the shimano ones) are in pretty decent shape, but I would love to have a spare because I plan on riding the snot out of this bike. :D We can always go halfsies on the price.

I know some decent graphic designers out here, maybe I can get one of them to do for the price of some beer...

Back