Kona Cindercone 93 'modernised'

nopunk

Dirt Disciple
Thought I would post my current Kona modernisation project. Probably not true to the proper retro bike ethic so look away now if offended.

I bought the bike new from Finch Cycles in Reigate for what I think was £575.00. I had saved up after getting my first job. I rode it as my only bike for 8 years, by the end of which the only original part left was the main frame.

In its time it sported such classic forks as Quadra 5s, Mag21s and Judy DHs. It was used to do the South Downs Way, a trip to Wales and thousands of local miles.

By 2001 the Kona was not used much anymore having moved away from the cycle club I used to ride with. I got into downhill buying an Orange Patriot, so after a few more years had passed I made the Kona into a road bike with skinny tyres. I found the elastomers in the Judy DHs had disintegrated so had to take them off. The original threaded P2 forks had long since been lost so bought some secondhand aheadset style P2s instead.

2ypivk8.jpg

Unfortunately it was still not ridden much, so I recently decided to try and make it more usable by fitting disc brakes. After investigating bolt on adaptors etc the best way seemed to be proper welded tabs and repainting the frame. This was entrusted to Argos Cycles.

I went for the 2 pack orange and used artistic license for the decals choosing a set from a later year, the 1993 ones were a little too retro and dated looking for me. I also decided to take advantage of the minimalist skinny steel tubes and go for a single speed setup to enhance that look.

2wlx6cl.jpg

2870pqh.jpg

Only read a few days ago that disc tabs on P2s may not be a good idea. However Argos said it is one of the few forks they will do, so should not be a problem.

2uffsxf.jpg

9s7ajc.jpg

2a6v0v8.jpg

15d51jn.jpg

All the bits I have so far.

Have also got a set of Fox F80RLs on the way which I may fit instead of the P2s to start with.

Just waiting on a Middleburn UNO front sprocket and the chain tensioner.

TBC

Interesting project. The orange looked quite dark in the first couple of pictures but the further you scroll down your post the brighter it looks.

Looking good so far, personally the only thing I would have done differently is continued to run V brakes, XT or something similar, but each to their own :D

Looking forward to pictures as it gets completed. Argos certainly do a tidy job of powdercoating.

Can't fault Argos personally. Of course I prefer the original but it'll be interesting to see how it turns out. As long as it's used it's all good.

Yes the first picture was a tad under exposed. It is quite a nice burnt orange colour with some variation into lighter shades depending on how the light hits it. Some sort of epoxy finish I believe. Very pleased with how it turned out.

Much as I love looking at older MTBs I do prefer riding the more modern ones, so discs are a must :twisted:

SEANSTEPHENS":33pjbx0t said:
would you be interested in selling the old wheels? if you still have them :D

Sorry already sold on ebay along with the old XT bits to fund this. Somebody did link them in the ebay section on here tho

Always good to see Argos' handiwork - they do a pukka job. All in favour of up-dating a classic bike too; if it's ridden more, great! Wha'ts not to like?
I don't remember that colour on the Argos paintchart, maybe it's a new addition - it's AWESOME!!!! :cool:

Thought I better post up the finished result.

Had to wait over 3 months for Middleburn to manufacture my X type UNO ring so missing all the summer to actually ride it.

Got it finished a month ago and built it up first with the P2 forks which look fantastic

v3dph5.jpg

2100gg8.jpg

bcv86.jpg

bv4bb.jpg

Unfortunately this proved a bit too hardcore for me so on went the Fox forks which transformed it into a very rideable winter bike.

314a5u8.jpg

fkp260.jpg

Back